• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"This file was modified outside of Illustrator" the message that no one seems to know how to fix

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open the drawing but all the elements were joined together and I can't modify them, i can draw new things above but everthing moved a little from the place they where before :C i hate this message.

I'm using windows.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Sync and storage , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Thank you for the answers.

In the layers panel you can look inside the layer. You just need to click on the little triangle to see what's there. I don't think it has all been merged into one object. It might be slightly less editable, but that depends on what exactly you created. If it's a clipping mask, then you can release it.

The Preferences are in Edit > Preferences and then "File handling" for the "Save in background". This is for the future, it won't affect existing files.

But I would re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Are you able to take a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you edit the file with a different app? Or someone else perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I just saved it, and when I tried to open it again that message appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save your files? Do you save to a network?

Is some automatic process running (at nicht: backups) or anything?

Any crashes when saving the files?

Are there third party plugins?

Which version of Illustrator?

Can you analyze the file with the layers panel - is there a clipping mask or has everything turned into pixels?

What happens when you turn off "Save in background" in the preferences? This will not fix existing files, this is only for files you save in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Where do you save your files? Do you save to a network?
I saved it in my computer

-Is some automatic process running (at nicht: backups) or anything?
i think not

-Any crashes when saving the files?
none
-Are there third party plugins?
All elements on the drawing were made on ilustraitor except the picture I uploaded to draw above it
-Which version of Illustrator?
version 2021
-Can you analyze the file with the layers panel - is there a clipping mask or has everything turned into pixels?
I'm not sure what do you mean with analize, but in Layers now is just one layer, the drawing kept the quality, just some elements moved a little.

-What happens when you turn off "Save in background" in the preferences? This will not fix existing files, this is only for files you save in the future.
is that option in the 'File' tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the answers.

In the layers panel you can look inside the layer. You just need to click on the little triangle to see what's there. I don't think it has all been merged into one object. It might be slightly less editable, but that depends on what exactly you created. If it's a clipping mask, then you can release it.

The Preferences are in Edit > Preferences and then "File handling" for the "Save in background". This is for the future, it won't affect existing files.

But I would re-save the file you are having trouble with by doing File > Save as and then check the necessary options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines