• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce ai file size with many copies of same embedded image

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ai file, that contains many copies of same embedded image (i need embedded image, not linked). So I embed into documen only one image, and make many copies of it. As result, I have very large ai file fize.

How can I reduce ai file size via store same embedded image only one time into ai file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

I just found that there is a difference between a Static and a Dynamic Symbol.

If you select the Symbol and choose Symbol Options... from the Symbol panel menu you can change the symbol from the default Dynamic Symbol to a Static Symbol.

All the link items will disappear and the file will be much smaller when saved.

That also explains why CS6 behaved different, Dynamic Symbols did not exist then.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murz,

How about dragging it to the Symbols palette and taking it from there (literally)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already use this file as symbol, but this not help with reducing file size. So I have document, that contains instances of one symbol, that contain embedded image.

But every new instance of symbol (link to symbol is kept active) increasing total file size, also in Links panel I see separate file for each symbol instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MurzNN  schrieb

But every new instance of symbol (link to symbol is kept active) increasing total file size, also in Links panel I see separate file for each symbol instance.

That shouldn't be the case.

Also it's not clear what exactly you're doing. You might be doing it wrong or Illustrator is misbehaving.

Also: just in case when you save the AI file with embedded PDF, then all images will be embedded in the PDF automatically.

It would help when you show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Illustrator is misbehaving, it adds an item in the Links panel for every time the image symbol is used.

I tried an older version (CS6) and nothing appears in the Links panel when a symbol is used.

Also a difference in filesize: CS6: 6 MB for 10 symbols, CC2019: 115,6 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to reproduce this problem in any Illustrator instance:

1. Create clean AI file with A4 page.

2. Place any pixel image (with size ~10 mb) embedded to this page. Save file, it will have size about ~10 mb)

3. Make this image as symbol and remove object from page.

4. Place symbol to page one time.

5. Save file. File size will be, eg, ~10 mb.

6. Now place same symbol to page more 4 times, total will be 5 images on page.

7. Save file and check size - it will be increased to ~50 mb.

As result, you will have ai file, containing only 5 copies of one image, with ~50 mb size instead of ~10 mb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murz,

It may be time to voice it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted and added link to this thread/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found that there is a difference between a Static and a Dynamic Symbol.

If you select the Symbol and choose Symbol Options... from the Symbol panel menu you can change the symbol from the default Dynamic Symbol to a Static Symbol.

All the link items will disappear and the file will be much smaller when saved.

That also explains why CS6 behaved different, Dynamic Symbols did not exist then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeath!!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is the image pixel image?

If so reducing the overall Illustrator file size would be difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, image is pixel image. But why Illustrator save each copy of same pixel image separately in file, even if all instances are into one symbol?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines