• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renumber artboards

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to renumber the artboards manually? I want to make an small animation and need a particular sequence.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reckon you've hit the thingummy on the other thingummy :-)
At least it's good to know that there's someone out there who's in touch with a semblance of reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quiet enough, but it's a start.

"I want Illustrator to be exactly like FreeHand and anyone who disagrees with me is a moron." says the ex-Freehand user.

"Why did Macromedia drop all support for FreeHand and disband the development team years ago?" asks everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah maybe because Adobe bought them out?

1. Re-order artboards through the artboards panel, similar to InDesign
  2. Option to name artboards
  3. Option to save all artboards for web (just for proofing purposes as opposed to saving PDFs)
  4. Paste in place across artboards (at least artboards of the same size, or dependent on the 0 point of the axis)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time I looked they were still in business selling Multipage and CADtools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I was replying to this comment:

_simon wrote:

Not quiet enough, but it's a start.

"I want Illustrator to be exactly like FreeHand and anyone who disagrees with me is a moron." says the ex-Freehand user.

"Why did Macromedia drop all support for FreeHand and disband the development team years ago?" asks everyone else.

And obviously the reason Macromedia "dropped support" for Freehand is because Macromedia was completely bought out by Adobe right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, hard to follow the thread sometimes. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up on this whole problem and bought Multipage. It really does add a lot of functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around mentioned before is a great idea, but there is one problem, the "art board navigator" docked at the bottom left hand corner of the entire app. Each number is place based on the prior setting (or original numbering of the art board), and no matter how much time you change the arrangement, art board 1 will be display in the "art board navigator" as 1. Unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest problem I find with the artboard numbering is when I export as PDF. I like to build various multi page UI design docs within Illustrator, then export to show clients. Well, you can't control the page numbering if you decide to re-arrange pages, which always happens. Say you decide to make a TOC, or add a page in-between, etc. Out of luck. Artboards keep the number they were created as.

It seems the most obvious UI change should be that the pages re-number themselves according to how you arrange them. This is how other apps work. I actually thought it was a convention. Adobe even does it for inDesign. It's silly to not let these pages self-adjust in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, I underline every single word you wrote!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay for renumberable artboards - currently I get around it by reshuffling them in acrobat but that only works for rearranging the order of the pdf pages; doesn't help in ai - but then they have to hold back something for the next upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multi Page from Hot Door has a very good plug-in for creating multiple pages in Illustrator versions before CS4. They cleverly used layers to accomplish this.

Now they have a new version, upgraded to AI CS4, but no mention if they use artboards instead of layers! I was hoping they would change the basis of Multi Page operation, but I guess they haven't yet. If they did, then I would hazard a guess that they had found a way to renumber artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a nice Ruby script that makes renumbering artboards a breeze. You will just need to install Ruby, download the relevant ruby script, and then type in the terminal window "Ruby "renumber artboards.rb" "

http://thejoyofappscript.com/2009/12/illustrator-renumber-artboards/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open the Artboards panel (Window>Artboards) and move the numbers up or down, rename them, whatever. Easy Peasy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread CS5 was n it available at that time so it was not so easy peas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Just joining this thread now.

Basically, I downloaded the script from Ian's site and then followed his advice to read Matt Neuberg's instructions on how to get rb-appscript up and running.

Then I opened Terminal and pasted this, as per Matt's instructions:

$ sudo gem install rb-appscript

Nothing happened so I deleted the space between the $ and sudo.  Then this message came up:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING:  Installing to ~/.gem since /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8 and

/usr/bin aren't both writable.

WARNING:  You don't have /Users/MYNAME/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,

gem executables will not run.

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...

ERROR:  Error installing rb-appscript:

ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb

mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Users/MYNAME/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1 for inspection.

Results logged to /Users/MYNAME/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1/gem_make.out

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Did I screw something up????  Can this be reversed?

Help!

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the "Window->Artboard" on (can't even switch it off) and I don't see a window for that feature... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got the Artboard panel back! Changed the workspace and then reverted to my saved one. This did the trick for me. The Artboards panel is back and working as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines