Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore snap-to-grid behaviour for path handles

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

one of the new features in AI CC 2014 is path handles ignoring any grid. However, when one wants to construct C2-contious joins between seperate objects, precise control over the handle position is needed. I do a lot of icon and sprite art, and there it is imperative that curves from differnent objects flow exactly the same to create a smoth transition between individual pieces.

How can one restore the ability of handles to snap to the grid like in previous versions of AI?

Reagrds,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2014 Jul 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noted that thing too at Adobe blog post at The 2014 release of Illustrator CC is here! « Adobe Illustrator blog

I had no answer. I wrote a bug report about it, still no answer (as always).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also extremely disappointed this has been removed without any explanation. I require this to have consistent curves within an icon or illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I didn't want the path handles to snap to the grid, I would turn snap to grid off. Why add one feature and then remove the ability to turn it off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating. Why was this removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video about the issue. Small example w/ suggested (but annoying) workaround.

[By the way; the "updated" video? I have already lost the ability again to have snapping bezier handles. wth Adobe?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look into this issue. It is integral to my work flow. An option in the preferences would do the trick.

For the time being I will be reinstalling Illustrator CC as it renders me unable to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that this feature is still available in InDesign, try that for the time being?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this doesn't work and the only solution seems to be to install an older version. How do you install an older version anyway? Only CC 2014 is listed in my creative cloud.

LAME!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please refer the following forum thread on the subject.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1504292

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sumit Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that doesn't help. That is about a different issue. That thread is in regards to live corner rectangles not aligning to grid, and being required to now go through three steps to make a rectangle that aligns to a grid... which just so happens to also be ridiculous.

This issue with my handles not snapping to the grid is CRIPPLING my workflow. Why the hell would Adobe completely remove this functionality? Why not make this, I don't know, OPTIONAL!

Fix this. Soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumit,

You are the only staffer in this thread. And after you, several people have pointed out that the link you posted is to a separate issue. There has been no additional response from Adobe and I am concerned that it means Adobe considers the matter closed. So I wanted to point out to you that this is an ongoing issue for users and we'd dearly like a fix. I'm personally having to use all manner of OTT work arounds to get my desired shapes.

Please allow optional on off for curve handles to snap to grid.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a very serious problem and the program isn't behaving at all like users expect it to. As I said elsewhere, when snap to grid is on, handles should snap just like everything else. When it's off, they shouldn't snap, just like everything else. It's pretty much a no brainer, so why Adobe chose to change it is beyond any logical comprehension. It's quite unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not help. I though that the purpose of CC was to allow users to provide frequent feedback and Adobe would provide useful updates to the software. However, instead of using this ability to progress the software forward based on the needs of the users, Adobe decided to remove features it's users were accustomed too, and hire useless staff members to redirect users to other forums in which the question was not answered or fixed, just to waste more of their time.  If there was really something useful in that forum, a simple keyboard shortcut of command + c and command + v would copy that information to this thread, and make it efficient for all users, but it seems that these days Adobe does not understand efficiency. Please, fix this problem ASAP. It was already solved years ago, but Adobe seemed to have retrogressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate it when Adobe say "refer to this link" Just give us the f#&king answrer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handles still not snapping to grid. I had to install the old CC Version to get my work done.

And Adobe don't care like usual. The have enough customers and a monopoly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, me neither. I posted a video earlier that it -had- been fixed - but it's since been unfixed, apparently.

And I'm not reinstalling my whole CC suite, no way, no how. This is dumb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I wish I could speak to one of the guys at Adobe who decided this face to face. I really like to hear their explanation of this "feature".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also frustrated.  I need this feature back as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a very important feature for me and my workflow. Please bring it back.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a teacher I'm also very frustated. I've totally have to change my workflow and even worse my way of teaching. Why not make this optional?

At this moment we're downgrading to earlier versions. Please bring this feature back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i do nothing here but preach to the choir, but come on... That we get no response or explanation is just bad bad business. I live and breathe the whole suite and it has been an indispensible tool for me since the mid nineties. Fix this NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, let's just hope Adobe fixes this issue in the next version. My workaround:

1. Turn on Snap to Grid and the Grid and using Guides create your own grid. Tedious work, but handles actually still snap to the intersection of Guides.

2. In the Preference panel, choose your Guides color to match the Grid color. This way you won't notice the difference.

3. Turn off the Grid but leave Snap to Grid on for easy anchor placement.

4. Name the layer you did this on 'Grid' or something. Do not lock this layer, otherwise this improvised 'handle snapping feature' won't work.

5. Create a new layer on top of your 'Grid' layer. This new layer will be the first layer to work on.

6. Save this file as a template to do your linework on.

Keep in mind that the 'Grid' layer isn't locked, so you could accidentally drag a Guide out of place...

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot something:

Make sure you have Snap to Point on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice to this. Its incredibly annoying and more ridiculous still that its been an issue since June. Please give us a modifier key to restore the old behaviour for handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines