• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate Object - Reset to 0 degrees

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotation of an object does not "remember" how it was originally created if you use the Transform Rotate panel.  It would be great if you use this feature that it would remember the original orientation of the object (like in Flash).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to be able to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Please! I've often wanted this capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking for this forever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE! That would be great! Indesign does it, why not illustrator? Why is it so important for one but not the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2011 Feb 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We miss it. Also missing is the option for a percentage scale pattern, scale object etc., and its memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love this feature too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Can't believe Illustrator doesn't have this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be settled by creating a "Rotation Live Effect". It sounds ridiculous, but now that I've been using AI for 4 years (after using Corel for 17 years) I'm finally getting used to how AI "thinks" (or is forced to think by clinging to it's original code) and this seems the only way it's likely to happen.

Live Effects seems to be AI's way of being more like Corel Draw and Freehand. A Rotation Live Effect Would at least remember an object's original rotation or current rotation. Of course we would need to use it interactively so I guess that means adding yet another tool. We could then use the Eye Dropper to copy the rotation of another object (which is an obvious must).

I have to say, though, finally after 4 years I'm beginning to see Adobe is trying to make AI 'make sense' like Corel and Freehand by adding 'absurd multi-stepped work-arounds'. Like AI's ridiculously huge and invasive bounding boxes around Type (font metrics box?) by adding the Outline Object effect just to make text align to other objects properly. Me, I add Outline Object to mostly every piece of text I create just to get the bounding box closer and have an easier time of moving different type elements closer together. But i have to say I was OVERJOYED when I discovered Outline Object, even though it was an extra step with an extra requirement (keep Preview Bounds switched on). So even if they come up with a Rotation Effect, in the end it's what we need and at least we'll be able to the job done, albeit after a few extra steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you would think that rotated objects in Illustrator must know their rotation because their bounding boxes are crooked and it is possible to reset the bounding boxes. How can that work and yet there isn't a simple way to 0 the rotation of an object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True! But for some reason the Transform Panel always snaps back to 0˚ after you rotate something, whether you use the panel or the bounding box to rotate. Seems they have the technology, they're just not doing anything with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bizarre thing is, if you rotate the object using the Selection Tool rather than the Rotate Tool, the tool tip shows its absolute angle rather than its relative one. So the Illustrator file *does* have this information! Why can't we use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Fireworks had a great "remove transformaton" command that restored an object to the original size/angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Why does this even need to be requested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1.

According to me, the band Adobe Illustrator do not you just too proud to repeat what eg Corel had from the beginning. (or patent rights).

Ai-Reset.jpg

The same applies to many features to Ai, which kind of obvious they were introduced years later and after many thousands of obvious user requests.

Please look at the table of the new features. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator

By me really little lacking to Ai became an ideal program, so that small things really irritate obvious in everyday work, as if it was a brand new program and no tradition of graphic work.

Annoying is the fact that Illustrator does not carry the the new features with the option to add and vote.

Fingers crossed that the new business model of Adobe CC will be free from the problems of marketing to make changes in order to maintain sales at a high level.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. 2015 says hello.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the bounding box hasn't been reset, just rotate the object to any angle and take note of the angle, e.g. 16.02 degrees. Then double click the rotation tool and set the angle to same angle except as a negative value, e.g. -16.02.

I found this tip here: Adobe CS Tips: Reset absolute rotation in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 

We have a workflow that is impacted by the lack of memory on rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Very Simple to Do Show the Transform Pallet in Indesign then notice the rotation and skew boxes on the right side... they will be a differennt number if the Box is selected whether it be a text box or picture box.  See screenshot below...   the Box is rotated at 10.5 so type 0 in the Box where it shows 10.5°

Screenshot 2016-03-28 23.46.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naww. Still not helpful when opening up a file that already has something rotated and you don't know by what degrees it was rotated.

Pleaseee simplify this workflow Adobe crew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines