• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RTF files automatically opening in Illustrator on Mac

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having this problem? I double click a text file in the Finder, and it automatically tries to open in Illustrator. I set TextEdit to be the default application to open RTF files, but they are still opening in AI.  It's very annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Select one of RTF files, Open information of file using Command+I, In Open With tab of the dialog change the program to TextEdit and Clcik ChangeAll button.

Hope This helps

Anish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried that. It works until you restart the machine, reopen apps and docs and get back to work. In fact, TextEdit was still listed as the default in the info box.

Also, when I tried option clicking a document to get the contextual pop up menu and select "open with..." the TextEdit app isn't even listed.

It must be a bug within the new CC updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having this problem? I've restarted my mac - same thing. Pain in the butt.

Illustrator 22.0.1 has bugs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator also wants to open all my PNG files. When I changed in the info dialog (in the Finder) it wants to pick Photoshop CS6?!?

I have Photoshop CC 2018 installed. Adobe has screwed everything up.

Maybe do some testing before launch. Just sayin'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem, too.  However, I'm not sure it is a problem with Adobe software.  I think the problem is that the list of text editing applications that Mac OS X creates for the "Open with" menu.  Somehow it lost the right application (in my case: BBEdit) from the list and it just chooses the first app it finds alphabetically -- in our cases, an Adobe app.

From some Googling, it looks like it might be related to a problem with the LaunchServices .plist file.

There is a free app called "OnyX" which can repair this.  It seemed to help me for a while. Now, my problem is back.

See:

How to Remove Duplicates & Customize the “Open With” Menu in Mac OS X « Mac Tips :: Gadget Hacks

BTW, I am using OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was plagued by this very problem for a few weeks.  It was driving me nuts. 

I believe I have resolved it.  And, as I suspected earlier, this is not an Adobe problem.

I did a few things.  I'm not sure exactly which one (or which combination) was the cure so I will list what I did.

1.  Get the OnyX application by Titanium Software.  It is free.  Be sure to get the right version for your version of Mac OS X.

Titanium Software - OnyX

2.  Clean your computer caches.  This will require a reboot when done.

CleanCache.png

3. Rebuild Launch Services.

RebuildLaunchServices.png

4. Restart your Mac in "safe mode."  This will rebuild some caches.

To do this, restart your Mac while holding down the "shift" key.

5. Restart your Mac back in regular mode.  Watch all of your file icons resort to their correctly-associated apps.  Say good-bye to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow-up on my last post detailing a possible fix:

I double-clicked on a JPEG file today and Adobe Illustrator launched.

This was not expected and reminiscent of the original problem.

I did a "Command-I" on the JPEG file to see what the default application was for it.

It showed "Adobe Illlustrator."

When I checked the "Open with:" pop-up list, Preview (the expected application) was not on the list.

So, I double-clicked Preview to launch it manually.

It then appeared on the "Open with:" list. And everything started working correctly again.

Weird. All is good for the moment.  I'll update if I see any additional anomalies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having similar anomalous problems. Specifically, Preview (for PDF) and TextEdit (for RTF) are often no longer the default. I associated the problem with the latest 'quantum' update to Firefox browser, since it seems to most often happen when I use print preview with a PDF > "Open in Preview"... and then oddly Acrobat opens instead. Often when I download a PDF file Acrobat opens instead of Preview. And then all of the other PDFs seem to be reset as well. It happens sometimes (though less often) with RTF, opening in Xcode instead. And as described here, the Open With menu has removed Preview and TextEdit as default apps, so I have to search for them manually to fix it. This is a source of daily frustration and it makes me hate using my computer. I don't know if it's a problem with Firefox, OSX or Adobe, but it is infuriating. This is the only discussion I've found online (I've been looking, also posted it as an issue on the Firefox forums), so I'm glad I'm not alone.

One difference: my main problem is with PDF files opening in Acrobat instead of Preview, but sometimes RTF also. However, my RTF files sometimes open in Xcode rather than Illustrator (never had that happen in particular). I don't know why Xcode would be default for me (it's not first alphabetically, and I also do have Illustrator installed). I haven't noticed this as a problem for other file types.

I have now tried the solution with Onyx above (as well as restarting once in Safe Mode). I believe this has solved the problem. It's hard to verify that it is permanently fixed, but I do have some evidence. Elsewhere I found information about installing the Default Apps prefpane (Rubicode - RCDefaultApp) which is now quite old but still seems to work on current OSX versions. It's another way to set the default apps for different extensions. However, you can also view the Apps themselves including what their associated compatible/default file types are. And that is the hint that this solution actually worked. Before the Onyx fix, TextEdit and Preview were entirely missing from the Apps list in the Default Apps prefpane (just as they were often missing from the Open With menu). But after the fix, they are listed again, with the relevant file types associated too. I hope this is a permanent fix, but even if not it seems to be better (and hopefully longer lasting) than manually resetting it via Get Info every time the problem happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From another discussion, it appears that many, if not all, people experiencing this problem are using Mac OS X El Capitan.

Does anybody here experience this problem on another version of Mac OS X?

Other thread is at:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10222408

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi warnergt ,

thank you for the hint regarding OS X 10.11. ( ElCapitan).
I also experience this behavior. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 (German).

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines