• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flicker on CC 2020 apps with hardware acceleration (high monitor refresh rate)

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week I started taking several courses for Photoshop and Illustrator at my local community college. While working though assignments I noticed an issue that I have not seen before, nor was I able to find a similar post in the support community.

Using Photoshop 2020 and Illustrator 2020 with hardware acceleration turned on (by default), my screen would flicker every time I moved my mouse. This only happens when using thes applications. The issue was fixed by turning off hardware acceleration in the application preferences. I have a fairly high end gaming PC and my primary monitor has a max refresh rate of 144hz. So I was a little confused about why this would be happening. On a whim, I turned HW acceleration back on and started to turn down the monitor referesh rate. The flickering continued to occur at any refresh rate above 60hz (100, 120, 144).

Is there a known issue with 2020 CC applications not playing well with high refresh rates?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's realyl that fancy a monitor it's more likely the answer is in your NVidia or AMD settings panel. From basic HDMI timing to advanced stuff like adaptive sync/ GSync and of course the classic forced VSync this can be anything. Hardware acceleration functions have no concept of refresh rates, they just send abstract function calls to the driver, so the issue is there most likely.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known issue with this when both apps are running. Does it happen as well, when you run only one at a time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have an answer, but you are not alone. I am experiencing the exact same thing!

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late to the thread but I thought I'd attempt to contribute.  I occasionally experience this issue as well.

In short, what solves it for me is simply turning my primary monitor (Predator 21:9 34" 100hz) down to 60hz.

I would only get the issue while having multiple adobe programs open as well as luminar/spotify/chrome etc... But for me it was enough to pull my hair out. I completely respect that this might not be the proper technical solution to the issue. But the bandaid has stuck thus far... (only headache is cranking the monitor back up for gaming).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well. Only happens with external monitor, which I use all the time. I can't seem to change the refresh rate of my external monitor. I have Macbook M1 with latest OS. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello smashkirk,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Monika helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try turning off Adaptive Sync from System Preferences and check if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA Control Panel / 3D Settings / Manage 3D Settings / Program Settings

- Select Photoshop from list

- Change Monitor Technology from GSYNC Compatible to Fixed Refresh

Then it is solved for Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines