Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting for Changing one Spot Colour to Another

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to create a script that will change everything in a file or in a Layer called "Artwork" (if that's easier) to a spot colour Black which is just K. So for example if I have a file and the artwork is just PMS Yellow 115 U and all of the artwork is 100% 115 U but there is a part that is 50% 115 U - could a script change all of the 115 U to a Spot Black including making the 50% 115 U to 50% Spot Black? Spot Black must be C: 0, M: 0, Y: 0, K: 100.

We produce film for plate and when this is done everything must only be Black (K) and I'm thinking based on your other Script you made, perhaps one could be made to make everything in a document the one Black spot colour.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.27.02 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.28.20 pm.png

So basically - the colour changer script would work like this:

-An Artwork that is all just in 100% PMS Yellow 115 U > Change to 100% Spot Black (100% K)

-An Artwork that is 100% 115 U, 50% 115 U > Change to 100% Spot Black, 50% Spot Black

-An Artwork that is 100% 115 U, 100% 3005 U, 50% 3005 U > Change to 100% Spot Black, 100% Spot Black, 50% Spot Black.

...And so forth - so every colour becomes Spot Black while also retaining the % information.

Is this something possible to do as a Script?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

I have no experience with spot color, so this is a shot in the dark. This should change all spot colors (but only spot colors) in a doc to black without affecting the tint. 

var spotz = app.activeDocument.spots;
for (var i = 0; i < spotz.length; i++) {
    var color1 = spotz[i].color;
    color1.cyan = 0; color1.yellow = 0; color1.magenta = 0; color1.black = 100;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Take a look at InkQuest from Astute Graphics:
https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/inkquest

With just one click you can make a color separation.

I make a quick video for you: InkQuest Video

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with spot color, so this is a shot in the dark. This should change all spot colors (but only spot colors) in a doc to black without affecting the tint. 

var spotz = app.activeDocument.spots;
for (var i = 0; i < spotz.length; i++) {
    var color1 = spotz[i].color;
    color1.cyan = 0; color1.yellow = 0; color1.magenta = 0; color1.black = 100;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Just gave this to some of the guys here and they love it!

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand your request, almost all (perhaps even all) requirements can be solved with Illustrator's native Recolour Art mechanisms (see Edit menu) or with the Merge Swatches command in the menu of the Swatches palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines