• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

select same jpg?

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I select same jpg under many shapes with clipping paths to replace with another jpg under all (globally)

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Save and close your file with the linked images.

Remove your linked image (put it in anothe folder).

Open the Illustrator file.

Check the Apply to All checkbox and Replace to select another image.

Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 12.28.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Layer panel. Open the layer in question by clicking on the carret at the left. Find the jpg you want to replace and drag it to the trash can. Place your new image and drag it to the bottom of the Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I want to know how to select ALL shapes with the same jpeg at one time so I only have to change the jpg once.

I have 24 rectangles that have the same jpg under them with a clipping mask. How do I re-link a different jpg to all 24?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screen shot with the Layer panel open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean select each and replace with 24 different images or replace the all with the same image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to replace them all with the same image, reserving the ability to adjust the clipping mask individually over the image in each one.

I'm new to IL and have thrown myself into a great project at work. The results look great but I'm sure there's a more efficient way to achieve them.

This is what I've done:

"Placed" a jpg in my Ai file.

"Sent it to the back"

Selected it and Shift+selected a rectangle, made a clipping mask.

Centered the rectangle over the part of the jpg section needed. Double-clicked out of it.

Copied and pasted it 24 times throughout the illo.

Now . . . my client wants a duplicate illo using a different jpg.

The Adobe tutorials move too slowly so I've taught myself how to use a clipping path. But I'm guessing there's a better way even though the result I get is perfect. I want to save time and get better at this. (Don't we all?)

I only have one layer. Here's a screenshot. Your patience and any help is greatly appreciated.

TeresaB831_1-1621643784835.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I want to do is replace one linked file with another globally for every place that file is linked. In one quick, "select same" kinda action.

You know how you can "select same fill color", then change the fill in all of them at once? I want to do that with a jpg used in 24 clipping masks.

I hope I'm explaining myself in Ai terms. (I know I'm not.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent some more time playing with this. I found the Links Window. (Brilliant. Why didn't I see this before?!)

I ctrl+click to select the ones I want. Then click "relink". Then (one at a time) it asks me to "place" the new image I want linked. Better than how I was doing it but still one at a time. Any idea for a global change?

(It places the new linked image in exactly the same spot in the clipping mask which is a big time saver, too.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save and close your file with the linked images.

Remove your linked image (put it in anothe folder).

Open the Illustrator file.

Check the Apply to All checkbox and Replace to select another image.

Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 12.28.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works! What an elegant solution. Even just renaming the file did it.

Thank you.

Thanks for the screenshot, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines