Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show / Hide Center Point / Anchor Point

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In the new CC 2017 for Illustrator I can't seem to enable my objects to always show and display the center point. Why was this moved from the Attributes tab?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Chose Show All from the Atributes Panel, or double click a couple of times on the Attributes Panel Name Tab (it's collapsed).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chose Show All from the Atributes Panel, or double click a couple of times on the Attributes Panel Name Tab (it's collapsed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in CC 2017 for Illustrator. It shows that the center point is active in the attributes panel but no center dot shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is also View > Show Edges (Cmd H or Ctrl H) active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I cant find the centerpoint on any of my image boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use indesign 2017 and I can't find the attributes panel or any way to create a center point in any boxes when I am trying to center it on the page. I was able to do this in Indesign 2015 when I would move an image box, the center point would automatically appear. What happened and how do I get it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the InDesign forum.

This topic is about Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have a similar issue where all the center points of guide-objects have lost their center points.  I've checked the Attributes panel and it looks correct and the View/Show Edges is turned on, but all boxes and circles (which have been converted into guides) have lost their center-points.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that the behavior of 32 years of Illustrator use has changed in regard to the center point. It used to be I could easily toggle to outline mode from preview and the center point was visible on every shape in my settings. Now, it only shows when the object is selected. The persistent center point makes nesting shapes on centers easy when dragging from center point to center point in line mode.

I currently have center point toggled on in attributes, but I only see the center point in either outline or preview mode and that makes hitting the target [the center point] in any shape difficult from a usability perspective. Is there some other setting I'm missing that would allow the old behavior of having a center point persistent in line mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem too. In wire frame mode, none of my shapes' centerpoints are visible until I click on them. This used to be standard when switiching to wire frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine are on by default although I can't find a pref that does this. 

If I create a box and turn off "show center" and then draw a new box, it has show center turned on (which I think is a little counter intuitive, if I just turned them off wouldn't you think I'd want them off for the next box?)

To turn them all on, select all, toggle show center in attributes panel.

If you have Smart Guides turned on, even if the centers are hidden when you drag over, it will highlight and display "center" on screen (you do have to know approx location of center).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am zoomed in it becomes that much harder to find the centers of a shape. I just noticed that if I am in outline mode at 100% or less there will be a single pixel representing the shape center @ 100%. If you zoom out to much less than 100% the center point becomes exxageratedly large and obtrusive. It recedes to a single point @ 100% and is gone at any view larger than 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I only see the center point in either outline or preview mode"

what other mode are you drawing in, presentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I have never noticed Presentation mode until you mentioned it. I've used Illustrator since '88 and ignore a lot of the new tech they throw at us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue, and I've found that when I hit Command-E (or menu View > View Using CPU) then the center anchor points appear. However, when I toggle back to View Using GPU, the center points are gone again.

On a 16" MacBook Pro 2019 running Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3 and Adobe Illustrator 25.2.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have that as well.

27" 2019 Retina 5K iMac | Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Very useful workaround...thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you @rockshowphoto!! the command E worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that rockshowphoto!! But this has to be a unsolved bug "once again", what happens when you want to see the centers AND enable GPU view simultaneously? Come on Adobe, get it together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines