• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Performance after Illustrator 2020 update on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced program performance issues? Since I made the update to the latest version I have been having performance problems. The program is too slow and I have a good team, yet simple slow processes are done in light files such as scaling a text or a simple vector.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Have you made sure that "dictation" is turned off if you're on a mac? This solved all of my problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, my dictation has always been off. The challenges I am facing are really around illustrator only. Photoshop works fine but illustrator is EXTREMELY slow:

1) The toobars hidden tools (ie scale - skew etc) just takes forver to load (±5 seconds)

2) Save time across a small network with tiny vector only files is really slow

3) System has 16G ram but feels so very slow.

Any help would be appreciated. We really need to fix this folks its slowing my workflow up badly.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving over a network never was a good idea with Illustrator.

16 GB of RAM is the minimum recommendation for Illustrator, so might not be enough for your artwork.

You might contact Customer Care so they can take a look at it: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues, even moving a rectangle or piece of text is a several second delay. This applies to every AI file I open.

iMac 3.3GHz Intel Core i7

OSv 10.14.6

16 GB of RAM. 

I will try the change of preferences process below and see if it helps. Illustrator 2019 was very fast by comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the Illustrator Preferences did NOT work for me. However, disabling GPU Performance seems to prevent my system from crashing. How do I remedy this problem (other than disabling a feature I should have access to)?

Intel® Iris® PreoGraphics 6200

Version: 4.1 INTEL-12.10.17

See system specs above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 version of illstrator is slow even on high sierra, nothing to do with catalina, its the latest 2020 update that brought illustrator to its knees. pretty much unusable right now.  any chance to give us an eta on a fix? open, create and save take for ever!

only solution i've found so far: uninstall everything adobe, clear all caches and install affinity :), just kidding, and then install your latest products again. but thats a far cry from a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We're extremely sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. I completely understand your frustration at this situation. We are continuously trying our best to resolve all performance related issues with every release. In order to investigate this issue, we would need some more details from your end. For example:

• Exact version of Illustrator you are working on.

• SPX file from MAC 
    Click on Apple Icon > About this Mac > System Report
    This will launch the System Profiler
    Then Click File > Save > Save in Creative Cloud Files
    Then open www.assets.adobe.com
    Click on three dots next to spx file > Share > Copy Link and paste it in a private message.

• Preferences Folder: -
    Try resetting preferences. If it helps to resolve the problem, share the old folders via Creative Cloud.

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to locations

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

~/Library/Preferences

Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old

Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings. Save these .old folders in Creative Cloud Files and share the download link

• If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not think this is an isolated incident. This issue(s) is across the board and needs to be looked into FAST!!  From ghosting dragging of the cursor (which may or may not select what youu want or 10 things at one time), to slow selections in general... saving... moving about the page... modifying text or gaphics.... the whole experience is maddening!!! There is some issue and we need your help!! running most current Illustrator on Mac PRO 2013 with catalina. However, its doing it on my new lap top too (macbook pro with catalina and current Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I understand it's frustrating. We are trying our best find the root cause of these issues. I would request if you could share the details I asked above. 

This will help us replicating this issue at our end and help you accordingly.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do want to offer that when NOT in overprint preview, my commands, scrolling, and movements etc. does move faster. Still slow, but not like being in a pool of molasses 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

im a student who needs to hand in coursework in 3 weeks, my illustrator is painfuly slow and frustrating to work with, i have a macbook a1502 with macOS catalina update, with the latest adobe illustrator update. i have a lot of work to do but it is impossible to do so with this illustrator update, ive been trying all the solutions in this thread and nothing has worked, infact its even slower. i cannot continue to work like this, when will there be a solution?? please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi - my cowoker and i both on MacBook Pros (2019 and 2017 models) running on Catalina are also experiencing VERY slow times trying to work on and save documents. Mine now keeps stalling at 30% saved and I had to recreate files today. Please resolve with an update! Ive been using illustrator since the beginning and it has never been like this. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this poor experience. We're trying our best to resolve this as soon as possible. For this we would need a few more details as mentioned above. 

Please share the SPX file and Preferences folders (steps are shared above). Along with that, please confirm how the application works in Safe Mode and Root account. 

Few users have confirmed that changing color settings help in resolving this issue. You may also try that and let us know if this helps. 

• On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Displays, then click Colour.
  • Select Apple RGB in the list on the left.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI that I solved the problem on my system by turning off Dictation in Accessibility Preferences. Apparently Dictation and Illustrator do not play well together. However, this is still a major problem that Adobe should address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every solve-thing above does NOT work. Illustrator perfoms dramatically bad! I cannot work like this.
When will this be solved?

Removed Illustrator 2020 and now the old version is hopeless as well....
Removed everything. Still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What used to be just a joke developed into my workaround for the moment: affinity designer is the best option to get through this. But going by adobes history, I doubt we’ll see any improvement. After all, we all pay our monthly fee, no matter what. Slim chance for change. 

Illustrator >> affinity, it’s just like giving up freehand for Illustrator all over again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it amazing that adobe would update somthing that throws up such a massive issue. 

SORT THIS OUT QUICKLY 

Illustrator 24.1.2 

running on 
MacBook Pro  13" 2017

Catalina 10.15.4
3.5 Ghz Intel i7 processor 

16GB Mhz Memory 

Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this possible fix. My dictation is off and has been. Unfortunately, no fix for me yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not Dictation issue, once you open the tool windows and start stacking them up it will slow things  a lot, I deleted all setting and Illustrator 24 system stuff, opened it and it is very fast and responsive, stacked up my menus and here it became slow sluggish again, I reset the tool windows to essentials and closed them and it is very responsive again, the tool windows are what making their software useless, the 2019 working fine with all menus open, but not the 2020.
I would suggest to disable GPU in the settings, close Illustrator then reopen it and enable the GPU again, that helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in agreement. Very strange actions from illustrator after OS update. Took the advice to turn off dictation and it seems to be better. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if this truly does solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - You just ruined my workflow Adobe.  Simple vector files take 10 minutes to save, and there is this comment about saving in the background.  WTH!  I have a file I have tried to rebuild five times b/c it crashes due to saving - its a basic file. 

I am going back to 2019. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum. You are not talking to Adobe. If you want to eport a bug, please & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com.

If you want Adobe Support to login to your system and figure this out: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
If you want help from the forum, please post your system and hardware info and where exactly you save the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this experience. There could be multiple reasons why a application would crash. Could you please try the steps shared on this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/crash-file-data-recovery.html) and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a permanent solution for myself, now Im in heaven, I have tried all, deleting caches and clearing settings and reinstalling and deleting user files, I even tried earlier versions and first 2 versions were much better, I found out that it is a gpu driver issue, tell me what is your hardware and graphic card used and what Apple device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excited to hear your solve. It's been a rough, very stressful time latley.

I am running: 

MacBook Pro 2013, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Mojave 10.14.6

Graphic card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB, and built in Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have found running in CPU mode is less of an issue, an switching into GPU when I want to view the artwork acuratly. It's not ideal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is mostly Nvidia Driver issue, I have 1080TI in Mac Pro 5.1, I use Nvidia Web Driver, there is an option in the driver called GPU Performance Counters, I just enabled it as picture attached and everything as smooth as Illustrator 2018 and 2019, no lag issues at all.
I have Cuda installed as well but that is from long time ago, it wasn't the problem, it is when I clicked that option in the GPU driver and enabled GSYNC once in the driver then disabled it.
In your case, If you don't have Nvidia driver installed because you GPU is natively supported by OSX, I think you might need to disable the Intel GPU and Force it to use Nvidia GPU, or the GPU is weak and cannot handle the app, or your Nvidia GPU is faulty.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.41.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines