• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some details of my illustration disappear when I "Export + Save for Web" a JPEG file

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that when I tried to export a particular illustration I created into a JPEG using "Export + Save for Web", some of its details are missing. I cannot show the entire illustration for confididentiality reasons as it is part of my job so I just clipped a small part of it here.

Line dissapeared.PNG

This object pointed by the blue arrow was supposed to look like the object pointed here in the red arrow. It's line in the middle was supposed to go through until the end, but it disappeared halfway.

I tried tweaking some of the options here, and found out that the missing details return only when I increased the image size (particularly the "Percent") or when I choose "Type Optimized" instead of "Art Optimized."

Options.PNG

But I can't have that when exporting this file, I'm not allowed to tweak the size of the illustration, and the quality also kinda suffers when I choose "Type Optimized". Is there a way for me make "Art Optimized" work without the illustration losing some of its details?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the problem is whithout examing the file. However, it could possibly happen if the line is very thin or if the line is not perfectly straight horizontal. Does the line have a very slight angle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line is perfectly straight horizontal, it has a weight of 0.315 px.

The object (pointed by the blue arrow) is repeated many times in the illustration (I cannot show the entire illustration because of confidentiality reasons) but that particular one has its middle line end halfway, unlike the object pointed by the red arrow.

I can make it appear by selecting "Type Optimzed" on the options when I "Export + Save for Web", but the quality of the whole illustration is inferior compared to when I select "Art Optimized". Only problem is some details of the illustration disappear when I select "Art Optimized."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention, that object (pointed by the blue arrow) was a line that was converted into that object by a custom brush that I made. Does this have something to do with this?

Brush.PNG

Although I did try to "Edit + Expand" the object to make it more... how do I say this... "tangible" unlike a line that has just been converted by a brush. And when I did "Export + Save for Web" after that, that object (pointed by the blue arrow) still has it's middle line end halfway, it didn't fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

0.315 is not a full pixel. If you have a choice it would be better to make it thicker.

What happens if you select the artwork in Illustrator and click Align to Pixel Grid, and under the View menu choose Pixel Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clipped that particular part again with Snap to Grid and on Pixel Preview, here's how it looked like:

Pixel Grid Preview.PNG

Here's one which is zoomed in:

Pixel Grid Preview Zoomed.PNG

I'm not allowed to tweak the weight of lines, part of my job unfortunately, I'm not allowed to tweak objects in a template that I was provided with.

It's strange, I've exported a lot of my projects before with "Export + Save for Web", I've repeatedly used that object (pointed by the blue arrow) again and again and a lot more lines that are less than 1 pixel in weight, and my illustrations don't normally lose details when I export them. It just happened now after using a freshly installed Adobe Illustrator in a new PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the problem is that the line is not perfectly horizontal. I think that the problem is a combination of a very thin line and a slight angle. If you are allowed to straighten the line that would be the first thing to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I really appreciate the replies and the effort of trying to help me and I could just simply do that thing you're telling me, but this is getting more strange to me now because I tried other things.

Like I said before, the way that object I'm having trouble with (the one pointed by blue arrow in the pictures above) is being created is it is just a simple straight line that is being converted into that object by a custom brush.

Brush.PNG

I am sure that the line before being converted is perfectly straight horizontally, and I'm also sure that the lines when it got converted into that object also don't have slight angles.

I redid that one problem object (pointed by the blue arrow) in my illustration. Using the exact same steps I did before and I just replaced that one, and it fixed it. Now the middle line in that object don't end half-way.

Fixed.PNG

Now here's what's really bothering me because I tried doing anothing thing. I went back to a previous version of my illustration where that particular problem object's issue was still there. I made duplicates of that particular problem object (Hold Alt + mouse drag), just placed them underneath it and here:

Duplicates didn't lose the detail.PNG

The duplicates didn't lose the detail when I exported the project using "Export + Save for Web", BUT THAT OBJECT STILL DID!?! So what I did next is I used Pixel Preview on that problem object and its duplicates.

Duplicates.PNG

The original problem object's middle line is not perfectly horizontal, while its duplicates are perfectly fine!?!

Does Adobe Illustrator randomly distorts objects now? Is this a bug with the more recent patch/version of Illustrator? Because I swear this is the first time this happened to me when I "Export + Save for Web". I've been using that object for months now, exported a lot of projects without it losing detail before. It just happened now that I'm on a new PC with a fresh install of Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks for your time, Barbara, I really appreciate it. While I did find a way to solve my issue, this puts a bit of a hassle in my work flow because now I got to check for lost details whenever I export my projects. I was hoping for a more seamless fix where I only need to tweak some settings, but I guess I'll just have to redo some things when they lose detail when exporting. Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is excellent detective work on your part Z_Giovani!

I have sometimes seen mathimatical rounding errors in Illustrator, especially when working with small measurements that are more than two decimal points, and your line is 3 decimal points. This is less likely to happen if you zoom in as tightly as possible to the area you're working with when you are drawing the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines