• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spot color screened in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally baffled! I have artwork that I originally created in Illustrator 2019, I didn't realize but I've made revisions to the balance of the file in 2021 (v 25.2) and it's printing almost gray when it should be a 10% screen of PMS Green 343. I've tried to just darken the screen to get the color to print correctly but even when I try to make the green 100% it doesn't change!!?

The transparency and opacity are set at 100%.

What am I missing? 

TOPICS
Performance , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the Illustrator file for us to look at? It doesn't have to be the whole thing, even part of it with one problem object would help us troubleshoot. Is this only a problem when you print, or does it also look wrong onscreen?

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also doesn't change on screen. 2019 & 2021 screen shots attached with color & opacity settings showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the Insert Photos button instead of attaching images.

After downloading I hardly see a difference between the 2 (please select the problem object)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are 100% correct that there's barely a difference but on the 2019 file, the screened logo is showing the color at 343 with a 7.5% screen. On the 2021 file, I've changed the logo to 100% green 343 to show that nothing changes & when I print either file they appear as grayscale.Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.13.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.11.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is possible to show a file that has the problem, just the problematic part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file looks fine, and you said it only prints gray. So maybe it's something in the printing process. Check the settings when you print. Has your operating system changed since you last worked with this? Maybe the printer driver changed, or does it print OK does it print OK from Illustrator 2019?

PMS colors are meant to be printed using special Pantone inks, so something is happening during the conversion to CMYK for your printer.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I print this file as CMYK on a high end digital printer, I last printed in January with no issues at all. The only thing I changed is two words, Investment Banking to Wealth Management that print in black. There are two ruled lines that also print in a solid Green 343 & there isn't an issue with that.

Aside from probably having rollers replaced, nothing on my machine has changed, it's only the issue of the screen area between Illustrator 2019 & 2021 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually printing with spot ink? The ink is actually green, so it can't really change colour unless it's an optical effect, mixing with the paper dyes or whatever. But if you are printing to a desktop printer you should not design in spot inks, I agree. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using a spot colour in a design for CMYK printing is risky at best. What you are seeing is an attempt at proofing the true colour, and this could have weird effect. Designers do this all the time, and pre-press people constantly curse and have to fix it.  So, make your swatch CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines