• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Font List from returning to top

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Hoping someone can help direct me to where I can adjust a setting so that when I am changing between fonts, I can return to the position of the current font in the font list, rather than return to the top of the list. It has only recently changed as I used to continue down the list rather than have to scroll back down through all the fonts to try the next font.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

A couple of versions ago Illustrator introduced the feature of "Recent fonts" that would appear at the top of the font list. You can set in preferences in the Type section the number of fonts that you want in this list from 1-15. Since that time the way that the font list works no longer allows for the type of scrolling from where you left off that you have described. I agree with you that I liked the earlier way that it worked better and I have tried to find a way to get it to work the way that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

what has worked for me is slecting the lettering you have typed in then clicking up in font name and using the up and down arrow keys and pushing down a bunch of times then when you go up and hit the drop down arrow it stays on what font you have selscted in the list its a pain but it works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of versions ago Illustrator introduced the feature of "Recent fonts" that would appear at the top of the font list. You can set in preferences in the Type section the number of fonts that you want in this list from 1-15. Since that time the way that the font list works no longer allows for the type of scrolling from where you left off that you have described. I agree with you that I liked the earlier way that it worked better and I have tried to find a way to get it to work the way that it used to but to no avail. The concept of recent fonts works counter to the "where you left off" method so that seems to be all there is. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill, such a shame that it has to be like that! I find it so much more time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save my time thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🥽 Thanks for offering constructive answers.  Unfortunately they are not really solutions to the problem if you have a lot of working fonts in a project.  I work all day with fonts and have hundreds of favorites in a given set that I need to work with.  I need to try out designs with 4 or 5 fonts and compare them together.  Having to start at the top of the list, and not where I just left off, is tedious and really inefficient.  It would be nice to have the option to enter the drop down list at the last font you selected.  That makes sense.  Anyone else agree?:white_question_mark::question_mark:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could do is mark certain fonts as Favorites and Filter your fonts to just those Favorites at the top of the Font Family popup menu.

Here's a video:

http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2013/11/applying-the-fonts-you-want-faster/

Favorites is discussed at about 3:20 into the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rats. I saw this thread and thought there was light at the end of the tunnel; I guess not. I wish I hadn't updated. It's driving me nuts. I am working on a whole cluster of logos, and I need to go down my fonts to try this-and-that on each one, and I keep getting popped right back to the top of the list. Maddening. Adobe is supposed to be more intuitive than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really annoyed at the change to this also. I hate the Recent Fonts "feature". It's like going backwards to some old Microsoft Publisher feature or something. It's really awful. Adobe, PLEASE go back to the way it was. You are making our projects take longer because of all the scrolling we have to do now. Maybe I don't want to use a recent font! As a designer, I try multiple fonts and decide I don't like any of them, so I have to keep scrolling and scrolling over and over again. What a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly right. Like a Microsoft Publisher feature. Whose bright idea was this? Really? Every time I end up back at the top of the font list, I want to pull my hair out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is supposed to have been fixed in Illustrator 22.1 release.

Option to disable 'Recent Fonts' feature. – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I read that it was supposed to be fixed, and I just updated my Illustrator two days ago, and it's still the same! So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Type Preferences, you can change to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixes one of the issues. But the other annoying issue is that if you are scrolling through your font list and maybe you stop at a font that starts with the letter S, then change your mind and want to choose another one, it doesn't start back on the list where you left off. It takes you back to the top again and you have to scroll all the way down to the S's to keep going to the next font. That's even more annoying than the Recent Font feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. It is quite annoying and a real time waster. I am constantly experimenting with choosing different fonts and would love to be able to start where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, this doesn't actually fix the problem. I mean, it fixed one lesser issue instead of the greater one. Also, I'm just now getting the 22.1 update. Creative Cloud hardly ever works for me without jumping through hoops, like repairing the installation and oftentimes uninstalling and downloading new. But that's for another thread I'm sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that the update goes smoothly for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not the answer everyone is looking for, but you can type a letter in the font name field, which will take you to that place in the alphabetical listing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip to use in the interim until Adobe does a true fix for this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's helpful....when you know what font you're looking for. I'm usually just surfing and trying things and doing that, I don't really know what name I'm looking for. I hope Adobe reads this thread so they can understand how stupid that change was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration. My suggestion is intended to get you back at least to the right neighborhood to continue your surfing, assuming that you remember at least the first letter of the last font you were looking at. I make no claim to a perfect solution here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes! Excellent point. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! I can now click on the text on my page and click the font dropdown and it takes my right to its place in the list instead of back to the top! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

love it when people go the extra mile with a clear screenshot ... nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly update 22.1 did not fix this problem.

adobeillustrator / @adobeillustrator,  if you bother to read these message boards, can you please fix this issue?! You can see how what a problem this is for designers who are searching through hundreds to thousands of fonts, and have to constantly reset their searches for font cycling. We are now wasting time and money with this issue which should be a simple fix.

@- Keep the recent fonts at the top of the search tab

- Below "recent fonts" cycles back to the last font selected on the alphabetical list of fonts

- If no font is highlighted or selected, then fonts begin at the beginning of the alphabetical order

... Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines