• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to see anchor point and handles of paths in Illustrator (Bounding box)

Participant ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm working on an Illustrator file in CS5. Suddenly when using the Direct Selection Tool - anchor points and handles are not visible regardless if selected or not. They're just not appearing. They DO exist though. When I click-drag to select an area where I know there is an anchor point and then I use the arrow keys to move the anchor point - I see the path change. But I don't see the anchor point that I am moving.

This is all occuring only on a particular file. When I open a new .as file and try to duplicate the problem - all works fine.

Any ideas why this is suddenly happening? I assume I accidently hit some thing to change a setting but I can't figure out what. I've checked Selection & Anchor Display in the Preferences, but can't find anything different there when comparing it to a file where everything is working normally.

Thanks

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

View >> Show Edges

Or View >> Show Bounding Box

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD  + SHFT + H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue once and CMD + H didn't fix it. I had to go into preferences and select 'Show anchor points in selection'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I fall into this problem many times too.

Does anyone even want to NOT see the anchor points?

I think this is part of why Illustrator is starting to fall behind Sketch.

Its an old product that's gotten so bloated with unnecessary features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/armando+inquig  schrieb

Does anyone even want to NOT see the anchor points?

A lot of people actually have been asking for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It is now View >> Show Layer Controls (Control+Shift+H OR on Mac CMD+Shift+H)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anchordisplay bug.jpg

has anyone run into this problem where the anchors partially disappear? it's an annoying bug that I run into every once in awhile and automatically solve itself so I never figured out how to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for such and clear and simple thing to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi y'allzes, just in case some of you are having the same problem I am having in Photoshop 2020, I found that if I click the box at the top of the screen entitled "Show Transform Controls", this enables me to see and manipulate anchor points of photos I'm trying to cut and paste. Not the same as anchor points in Illustrator, but hey. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Now I can breathe well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecionando apenas a opção view-show-edges  não estava dando certo, então selecionei tambem em view-show corner widget e ai funcionou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

PROBLEM SOLVED.

If CMD + H is not working for you, you have already selected Show Bundle Box on View menu, and have also gone to Preferences and activated ShowAnchor Points on Selection and Shape Tools AND NONE OF THIS IS WORKING:

Select the shape and go to Pathfinder tool, Shape Modes and click on the very first icon; the one that unites shapes. Don't ask me why, but for some reason it works. and the anchor points finally show up!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD + H is not working. I have already selected Show Bundle Box and Show Edges on View menu, and gone to Preferences and activated ShowAnchor Points AND NONE OF THIS IS WORKING! Someone kindly save my sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(removed) Change this hot-key toggle - it's so (removed)-  for years now - look how many users have this issue?  what is wrong with you folks-  youre making enough money juicing everyone monthly now with payments -  get some of ur millenial designers to CHANGE THIS TOGGLE.  Actually there are a number of hot key toggles that are plain (removed)- just too easy to toggle off.  And we can't always change the hotkeys in the system key.   Adobe doesn't always let the user change the hotkeys that they have so brilliantly come up with...

(remarks removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when using the direct selection tool the anchor points are not showng up, i cheched with the preferences and nothing changed, so i went to view> show edges, the anchor points showed up, but they're also showing up when using the selection tool, and i dont want that.

PLEASE HELPPP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines