• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform panel doesn't commit height & width values properly

Advocate ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me a little nuts and I don't know why this issue is happening for me in 24.0.1 version. If I change a square shape dimension by using the transform panel and plugging in 5in. x 3 in., upon hitting the enter key to commit the value, it changes it to 4.9953in x 2.993 in. Why is it not keeping the 5 x 3 values that I keyed in? I have to type it in at least 3 times in a row before it sticks.

I checked preferences and my General units are set to inches.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

This usually happens when "Use Preview Bounds" as well as "Scale strokes & effects" is turned on in the preferences and you type the values in the W and H fields instead of the shape properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example where I typed in 5 x 4 on this ellipse, notice that not only are there decimals after them, but then in the properties panel those measurements are off.

transformbug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Megan,

With the inconsistencies and the actual figures, it might point to something from the list (which includes preferences deletion/replacement), but what happens if you set the X and W to integer values and then (re)set the Width in the Ellipse Properties to 5?

And, forgive me for asking, are you sure there is no way you are aligning to you know what (4.0139" is an inch a a point)?

Concerning the latter question, it would fail to fit with the Y value.

The ratio of the actual W and H values is 5:4, so there seems to be a slight upscaling (which is inconsistent with the Ellipse Property values).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @meganchi,

did you also checked if you really have "uncheck" the options

Align to Grid and

Align to Pixel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually happens when "Use Preview Bounds" as well as "Scale strokes & effects" is turned on in the preferences and you type the values in the W and H fields instead of the shape properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate all of your responses, dear adobe users. Monika, what fixed my issue was deselecting "Use Preview Bounds" under my Preferences (I already had "Scale strokes & effects deselected"). Immediately after deselecting to use preview bounds then I can type in specific measurements into the Transform panel and they are finally accurate! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, MONIKA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Scale Strokes & Effects" is unchecked  in the shown screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Didn't realize that meganchi was asking the question here since she is usually answering  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Preview bounds would give you the value for the Height if the ellipse has a 1 pt stroke, but the Width values is strange.

I am beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with the precision in the 24.xx versions.

I noticed sometimes strange values for an A4, instead of 210 X 297 mm it gives 210,0016 mm X 297,0001 mm 

In this thread there are more complaints about precision:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-24-1-metric-precision-broken/m-p/10974507?pag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it in 24.1 and Illustrator behaved well.

Operating system interfering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave 10.14.6

And it does not always happen.

I use the Legacy "File New" interface. 

Choosing Print profile gives the A4 with the long decimal values.

Switch to Letter and back to A4 gives the expected round values.

This did not happen in CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same system as mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there is more.

Default Keyboard increment in mm has changed too.

Previous versions : 0,352778 mm.

New version 2020:  0,3531 mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 10 Pro, very latest. No problem here.

With units in mm. A 1 point keyboard increment in Preferences, it's stated as 0.3528 mm.

Drawing a rectangle and changing ruler units to inches, in Properties panel I type 5 and 3 for Width and height and it sticks. 

(Reselecting it, the panel and control bar show 5 x 3 inches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deinstalled Illustrator removed all prefs, installed 24.1 without importing settings.

That solved the strange keyboard increments.

But using the Legacy "File New" interface still gives me the fractional sizes for an A4.

Switching to some other paper size and back gives the expected A4 size.

A4.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines