Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform tool acting weirdly

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
is there a possibile reason to why the 'Transform Tool' shows the same height of two separate distinct objects, although the first is clearly smaller than the second one? As a matter of fact, they are both vector items, not inlcuding other subobjects (for example hidden vectors or raster items in clipping masks or similar).
Besides the bounding box feature is already on, as shown when selecting items. The box shows itself a different size for each, according to its default blue lines. Nonetheless, the 'Trasnform Tool' palette keeps showing same height. By the way, the widht is instead different, which is correct.

To get the whole picture.. what I'm trying to do is to resize circular icons to a specific size (let's say from 39,741 mm to 100 mm). These icons are made of a coloured circle and a white symbol on it. But when I set the height AI resizes them to weird height (114,493 mm). So I've tryed to ungroup objects to see what that might depend on, digging the levels that form the whole group. But to no avail....

I really do not have the faintest idea what the matter is here.. It already occured other times recently.
Might be a bug in the software?

Thanks in advance for replies and support
Regards

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

I have seen this problem mentioned in the past.

Similar workarounds, not reproducable from scratch.

You may want to report it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach the file in question so I can have a look on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.. here they are.
First two shots show same heights. The other two show the resizement to 100mm (which is wrong once resized) and the outline mode to show you there are no other elements between.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, can you upload the original Illustrator file instead (not screenshots) so I can open it and have a look on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, sorry.. miread. Tought you meant screenshots..
Here's the mentioned .ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot attach.. system says:

"Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
The attachment's transform-tool-illustrator.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Ai no Zip..  ðŸ˜ž

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

put it to any fileholder (Google Disk, Webtransfer etc.) and share the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the wt link has been removed..
any clues about the issue anyhow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to add the link into the text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the link https://we.tl/t-dg9BJu2qX7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for uploading the original AI file. I've had a look and you're right, there is something weird going on. It certainly feels like a bug. The green circle scales nicely by itself but once you add the shape in the middle to the selection the scaling becomes non-uniform. Best to report this to Adobe.

At the same time, I have opened the file in another vector editing software and the scaling worked fine there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy workaround if you scale them first to 100 in height (I know they will become 118.848mm first), then scale them again to 100, and from then on the bug seems to disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you draw both the ellipse and the shape inside from scratch in Illustrator? If not, I feel like this could be a file import bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Illustrator 25.2.1
Mac Os Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds a bit unclear. I'm joining to ZooN's request about a working file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I still can't say what is the issue, but I tried to release the compound paths and create the symbols again by Pathfinder, then redraw the ellipses. That solved the problrm, now the measures look correct. Even after adding some new shapes into compositions allthing looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for the effort. But still, we can't say we solved it.

We'd need a real fix to that, in order to find out whether it's caused by a bug or anything else we are not seeing clearly. We could draw and redraw shapes several times (even without that much effort or time spending) but that isn't really a solution, is it? ... Having said that (also because this issue keeps happening from time to time recently), I do need to understand why it occurrs. Otherwise I'd go ahead just with a workaround without fixing it.....
Think I made my point clear enough... (not meaning to sound rude..) 😉

Lemme know if yous can come up with other feedback
Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for a moment I can say that something wrong went with the symbols. If you have the same problem with any other shapes, you can attract Adobe stuff attention by bug report here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

PS. I'm not an Adobe stuff and ZooN also. We are the same users as you are, we can give you some "second look" and try to help, but we are not obliged to do this. Please keep it in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.. no one is obliged to do anything here.
Goes without saying (maybe you got the wrong idea and that's why I added the line about rudeness.... 😉
I never meant any of that...

Still I might express further analysis of the issue by saying that the issue hasn't been solved either.
Free to do (or not do) as much as to speak. Fair enough...

I do thank you for your or any support! As it's already been clearly stated.
We'll see further upcomings... who knows there are users that know better........ 😉 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way...

it'd be interesting to know ZooN's view.. who asked for the file first..... 😉

Thxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The circle(s), as it currently exists, is corrupt. The corruption stays with the circle if it is pasted into another document, but, at least on my machine, disappears (in the original document and others) when the circle is scaled to any other random size then re-scaled to the original size. I can (again, on my machine, obviously) draw a new circle of the correct size, which behaves as expected.

You say that this has occurred before: has this been on the same computer, or more than one? Is it just with circles (ellipses) or with other shapes as well? Barring further evidence from others, I know of no reason to suspect a bug. My guess is that you might need to reset your preferences or look for signs of interference from other apps.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks tromboniator/Peter,

I can only say these elements have been created by other designer(s), so we opened existing files. Which is why I cannot explain the weird behaviour. Since items are not originated on our machines that makes more difficult to manage the full constructing process having a guess at what went wrong.

Cannot remember actually what sort of shapes or elements had the same issue, but sure I do remember facing it already. The machine has always been the same. iMac 27" 5K, macOS Catalina, AI 25.2.1 full licensed.

Mumble mumble mumble...
Have a nice day, cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers to you. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines