Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type tool is not working in Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Can someone please help me to get my Type tool back in Illustrator. I checked all the preferences. All are good. I tried show edges as well. I tried after re-installing it. It didn't work.

When I tried to write something it works as keyboard shortcuts instead of writing anything.

Please help.

Please email me the answer on xxxxxx@xxx.xxx. Thanks.

[Email address removed by moderator. This is a public forum. Please do not post personal information.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the tool icon is present in the toolbar?

When was your last computer restart?

Is your keyboard OK? Or maybe a key stuck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

Yes tool icon is present in there. When I click on it, it shows its selected but when I click on artboard.Doest show any cursor and when i tried to type anything key pressing on keyboard work as keyboard shortcuts instead of writing anything on artboard. I tried area type tool, type on path all the tools under type tool. But nothing is working.

I tried restart computer several times, Didn't work

Keyboard is also okay no key stuck at all.

I reinstall Illustrator. But still problem is there.

Please help. I am really frustrated now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try and reset the preferences. Maybe your keyboard shortcuts file got really messed up.

But please do also try and attach a different keyboard. Do you have any extensions installed in your system that enhance typing?

Can you also try and close all other applications (that includes browser, remote control such as TeamViewer, banking, email ...) and then launch only Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Photoshop? Is Type Tool works in PS or any other program correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ares,

Thanks for your reply. I checked it in Photoshop.

Yes its not working in Photoshop too. In Indesign it works well. But not in Photoshop and Illustrator.

In photoshop it gives following error

"Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialised".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your system meet the requirements?

Do you have a font manager installed?

Maybe it's just time to contact Customer Care and have them take a look at it.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem - the type tool is not working in Illustrator OR Photoshop. It works fine in InDesign. I am not receiving any error messages when I attempt to use the type tool, it simply doesn't function in either program. The type tool creates an instance of "empty text," but does not fill it with the usual default text. When I type nothing happens, the cursor stops blinking, and then starts again. The file directory C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport as defined here does not exist on my computer. I am workin on a HP laptop.

Going through the above suggestions:

In the first link (Something prevented the text engine from being initialized, PSE 15 ) it is suggested that go to yet another thread: (Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized.... ) but it no longer exists.
- Then it is recommended to go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe and rename folder TypeSupport to TypeSupport_Old. However, I do not have this folder in this location.

- Then it is recommneded that I go to C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport\PSE15

and rename 2 files AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst and AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst.  I do not have the folder TypeSupport in the above location.

- Then it is recommneded that I go to C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport. But as mentioned earlier, I do not have the folder TypeSupport in the above location.

I did do a search for the folder "TypeSupport" and found them. I remaned  the TypeSupport to TypeSupport_Old. However doing this prevented the programs from starting. So, I changed them back.

In the second link (Text Engine error using type tool in Photoshop CC in Windows 8) it is recommended that I go to Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop/CT Font Cache, which I do not have. I searched for the files AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst and AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst, found them in other locations and deleted them. Emptied the recycle bin and restarted both Illustrtor and Photoshop. It didn't work. Then I restarted the computer and tried with both Illustrtor and Photoshop, but it still didn't work.

I have subsequently uninstalled both Illustrator and Photoshop, deleted all the old files associated with them (I think), emptied my recycle bin and restarted my computer. I then reinsalled Illustrator. The type tool still doesn't work.

I can't be the only person having this problem, but I can't seem to find any information on this issue. I have already spent over six hours on this issue. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I just installed illustrator on a new computer and type tool is not doing anything!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a PC and so far. My keyboard is working fine in other programs and everything else works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve this problem? Im working with a MacBook and it still is not working. I am trying to avoid deleting all of my files and the app itself. 

Thank you in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac, same story

Creative signature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same story as what?

The original post is from 2018 and Windows. So if the correct asnwer doesn't help you, please create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not edit type or reposition it by using selection tool.

Creative signature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHat keeps you from doing it?

Exactly what are you doing?

And: on which system using which version and which hardware?

When did you last reboot that system?

You probably noticed that you have a completely different issue than the thread opener?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, Thanks for taking interest.
Sorry if my explanation isn't clear. As you probably understand, English
isn't my first language.

My system is Mac Pro Desktop (Late 2013) OS 12.0.1

When I select the Type tool and click on canvas , I get (Lorem ipsum) as I
should.
If I want to edit Lorem ipsum by clicking the mouse on the words, I am
just getting another Lorim ipsum. If I accept this text and want to move
it with the selection tool it's not moving anywhere.

I read on one of the threads that this problem is caused by Google Chrome.
So I deleted Google Chrome, Restarted the computer and my problem didn't go
away.

It is morning now in Australia. I got your message overnight. Before
replying to you I have tried again to use the type tool.
And it's working as it should.
I am scratching my head...
If you need more details, please call.

Regards,

Z. G.

--
0425 273 255
* @gamarnikzorro*
Creative signature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening for me as well. We spent hours trying to figure out what it was, but didn't think to change the font. It ended up being a faulty font! Try changing the font. Possible easy fix.

Best Wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happened to me! Just Change your font! it works after that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines