Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to export at this resolution. please lower the resolution and try again

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

Created a pattern (3600 x 3600 px) which I need to save in JPEG format at 300 dpi. How can I do it without lowering the res?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Exporting a 3600px artboard from Illustrator at 300ppi would create a JPEG 15,000 px wide, and I get the same message when attempting it, so perhaps it's outside some hard limit for Illustrator.

If you want to end up with a 300ppi, 3600px JPEG, create it by intended physical size, not pixel size. 3,600 pixels at 300 ppi is 12 inches. So:

1. Create a 12 x 12 in artboard.

2. File > Export As

3. Tick 'Use artboards' in the file browser window.

4. Set to 300 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you need the JPEG for? As the other post states, Illustrator will struggle to export raster images over 15,000 px, let alone the 55,000 px an image that size would need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a file for print and was going off of their requested specs - since it was so specific I figured they'd want JPEG as well as PDF. Admittedly I'm new to this area so very well could be a fault of my inexperience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they accept a PDF,  send them that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a document of a set pixel dimension, you DO NOT export as 300ppi, you export at 72ppi. This gives you a 1-to-1 pixel export. I know it's kinda of confusing.

This will give you a 3600x3600 image as you desire. The resolution is irrelevant in this case... it's the number of pixels that's important. However, if you must, you can open the resulting file in Photoshop and set the Image Size Resolution to 300. All this does is add a flag in the header of the file, but does not change the actual amount of pixels in the image, but can affect how the image places in other documents like InDesign. i.e. a 3600 wide pixel image will place when dropped onto a page at exactly 12" wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue. The artboard is 3.25x2.25 so I highly doubt exporting to a 300 DPI JPEG should cause an error.  Also, when I import the file in PhotoShop it shows up at 1/10th the original size.  If I change the size correct size before opening it works.  I confirmed the original file in AI was 300DPI and the size stated above.  Wouldn't it be great if someone from Adobe could solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.25x2.25 what?

Can you show your file with the artboard selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't select Use Artboard when you export, Illustrator will export EVERYTHING that's on your pasteboard/work area, i.e. all other Artboards, and anything else whether on an Artboard or not.

To test: Zoom out until you can't zoom out any more. Select All... If you see any object outside of what's on your artboard, these are being included in your export so you can see why your image is now so big.

Here's something I see alot: Sometimes when people delete a guideline improperly, they erroneously leave the anchor points, which continue to exist without you realizing it as objects at the very far edges of your work area... these then define the overall bounding box for your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, that was the issue.  If I zoomed way, way out I saw graphic elements I must have used from an old art board.  I thought I had selected export export for just the artboard, but I must not have.  Selecting just the artboard solved the issue and I also removed the unwanted elements that were not on the artboard which also solved  the problem.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These are Photoshop instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines