• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Image Trace a PDF in Illustrator

New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I was able to place a PDF in an Illustrator file and crop it and image trace it without having a lot of clipping masks to delete. When I went to do this today I had to select the "edit contents" button in the top left so I could crop and trace and now I'm getting several layers of clipping masks to delete. Is there a way to avoid this?  It seems like this only worked for a little while because I haven't been able to place and trace before.

I know I can export the file as a png or other file type and place and trace, but being able to put the PDF directly in saves time. 

Thanks for the help

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I just checked and it works fine at my end. The only possibility I could see it saving a PDF with "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities".  Try turning off this option while saving PDFs and see if that helps.

preserve illiustrator editing capability.png

If not, could you please share the file with us? You may upload it to Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html#file-folder) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check "Link" when placing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm having what I think is the same problem. I had a large number of large ink line drawings scanned in at a local UPS copy shop (they're A3, which is bigger than my scanner). I was able to place, image trace and edit the first ten pdfs without any problem. I've now downloaded and want to do the same to the rest of the drawings, but none of them work! When I place the pdf, it is NOT showing the blue X across the image, and the 'image trace' options are not live. Please help!

I'm happy to upload a sample.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart your computer?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 🙂 - but didn't help. Thanks, anyway! I'm trying to clear/clean any
space I can think of, also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try Object > Clipping Mask > Release (and maybe ungroup afterwards).

Check the expanded Layer panel for clipping masks, groups, paths and an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks! I'll try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines