• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open .cdr file

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an old Corel Draw 9 clipart CD and wanted to look at some of the files in Illustrator, however I get the error message "The file filename.cdr is an unknown format and cannot be opened." Unfortunately I don't have the actual program CD anymore. Is there any way I can import this file into Illustrator CS5? Looking at the file types it seems possible to open cdr files?

Any help much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

The Draw files are most likely compressed. Just as with Illustrator, when you save a file from Corel Draw, you have the choice to save it with or without compression. Illustrator can open Corel Draw files, but not if they are compressed when saved. Corel Draw can open Illustrator files, but not if they are compressed when saved.

Open the files in Draw. Save them without compression.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I have just downloaded a trial version of Corel Draw and can see the files now. But that's just a 30 temporary solution. Does anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is an online service that will convert the cdr to .ai for you can try and use your 30 trial and export as pdf or eps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, I have tried the online service, but it doesn't work (php sendmail exception after submitting the file). Also I would like a more permanent solution as the 30 day trial is going to finish and what do I do then? There's thousands of files and I can't possibly convert them all before the trial is up. Maybe it's a bug in Illustrator? It clearly has import options for .cdr files, except it doesn't work? Anyone else had problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Draw files are most likely compressed. Just as with Illustrator, when you save a file from Corel Draw, you have the choice to save it with or without compression. Illustrator can open Corel Draw files, but not if they are compressed when saved. Corel Draw can open Illustrator files, but not if they are compressed when saved.

Open the files in Draw. Save them without compression.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's what it is. The files from the CD that I have would most likely be compressed. I tried saving one of the files in CD9 format uncompressed and then it opens fine in Ai. Unfortunately not the long term solution I was looking for but at least I know now why it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inkscape can open CDR's and save out EPS.

http://inkscape.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open Corrupt CDR file software to effortlessly recover and corrupted CDR File. Try CorelDraw CDR Recovery if you encounter data corruption issues affecting the integrity of CorelDraw images. http://www.purchase-software.org/data-recovery/cdr.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines