• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to turn off ligatures

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm using Illustrator CC and I can't turn off ligatures - all options are grayed out. See screenshot beow.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

(Not sure if it's relevant but I can turn them off in InDesign without issue, only happens in illustrator). Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.53.47 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

I don't have the Serifa font, but the ligature setting should work the same on any OpenType font. Click the fi icon in the OpenType panel to turn ligatures on/off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

See above, that's the whole issue, I know how it "should" work - the option is grayed out. (See my screen captures above)

Likely because the font is TTF vs OT. But that still is confounding that the Open Type panel, even when grayed out, turns the kerning pairs on and off as if they were ligatures. The work around I found was choose an actual OT font, turn off ligatures, change back to Serifa TTF and it kept the ligature settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

I had a similar problem with a font called Lafayette Comic Pro.

I was able to solve it by going to Window -> Character Styles, making a new style with that font, then in Open Type Features of the Character Style Options window, turning on "Standard ligatures", pressing OK, then editing it, turning them off and pressing OK again.

standard ligatures.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select this with the text-tool and then turn off the ligatures in the Open Type Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to, BUT I just changed the font to Myriad, the ligatures options came back. I turned them off. Then switched back to Serifa and the ligatures stayed "off" but still grayed out. See screen shots. This doesn't make any sense to me...

screen.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of font is "Serifa"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fnt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then of course it won't have OpenType options.

Those fonts have ligatures otherwise embedded. Let me try to remember how that was ... Some had "professional" styles with ligatures and others had it implemented through specific glyphs you needed to type. Try and search the keyboard layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting and makes sense.

However, I'm kind of confused that the ligatures appear based on the last used Open Type settings as I did with the Myriad font. Not sure how else to turn them on and off since they seem to be appearing as kerning pairs when I type them? (see first screen shot of "fi").

This "work around" I found seems really non-intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a PostScript font. These are so old, I'm astonished that Mac OS still supports it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the Serifa font, but the ligature setting should work the same on any OpenType font. Click the fi icon in the OpenType panel to turn ligatures on/off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above, that's the whole issue, I know how it "should" work - the option is grayed out. (See my screen captures above)

Likely because the font is TTF vs OT. But that still is confounding that the Open Type panel, even when grayed out, turns the kerning pairs on and off as if they were ligatures. The work around I found was choose an actual OT font, turn off ligatures, change back to Serifa TTF and it kept the ligature settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I turn ligatures off in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem with a font called Lafayette Comic Pro.

I was able to solve it by going to Window -> Character Styles, making a new style with that font, then in Open Type Features of the Character Style Options window, turning on "Standard ligatures", pressing OK, then editing it, turning them off and pressing OK again.

standard ligatures.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above worked for Georgia Bold (TTF) on Mac.  All the options worked for Myriad Pro. But as soon as I change it back to Georgia, I have the same issue.

I activated the Adobe Georgia font family and the ligature option became availble but did nothing. 

COME ON ADOBE! Please fix. This is wasting serious time. The ligatures should not be the default. Allow us to turn it on when needed.

A good bit of my work is interpretives for kids. Some challenged. And I am stuck with some fonts since they are part of the brand established before me.

Looking forward to the fix. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually got it to work by making Garamond bold > turning off ligatures > kerning where needed > then making it Adobe Georgia Pro bold. Whew. A lot of steps for such a little thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Georgia Pro bold certainly is an OpenType font. And initially you had a TrueType font, which can't have OpenType features (that's why they are called OpenType features)

Ligatures in PostScript and True type fonts were included in different ways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see screenshots. The first one shows Adobe Georgia Pro after ligatures has been turned off. The second one shows how I have to kern it to space it correctly. A lot of work to have no ligatures. No ligatures should be the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can set up what is the default type format. Just edit the Default character style and the default paragraph style in the respective panels. Then save the AI file as a new document profile or a template file.

You can also set up your swatches in that template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines