Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector Smart Object from PS does not open in AI upon double-click

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a CC subscriber, with the latest version of PS and AI, as they upgrade automatically. I run both on Windows 10.

I am unable to go successfully through the following scenario:

1. select a path in AI;

2. grab & drop it in a design in PS ("place" it), so that it becomes a Vector Smart Object;

3. double click on the Vector Smart Object's thumbnail in the PS Layer's palete, in order to further adjust the paths that comprise the Vector Smart Object.

EXPECTED RESULT: the Vector Smart Object should open in AI; upon changing and saving it here, it will automatically update in PS.

ACTUAL RESULT: (1) if AI is not running at the moment, it starts, but will not load my Vector Smart Object; the "home" screen of AI is shown instead; or, (2) if AI is already running (freshly started), its icon flashes in Windows' task bar, but my Vector Smart Object won't load either; the "home" screen of AI keeps showing instead.

This was a crucial workflow in my work. Please advice.

For the record, the exact versions I'm using at the moment of reporting this are:

- Photoshop CC (2017)

- Illustrator CC (2017)

System:

Windows 10 Home,

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @2.90GHz

8,00 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

P. S.: you am also considering opening an incident against AI, but have no clue where their public bug tracker is (do they have one?)

Thank you,

Claudius Iacob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

I believe I've solved my particular issue with Photoshop not opening a Vector Smart Object in Illustrator when it is double clicked.

This is specific for Macs running Mojave OS (although it may help others).

• Noticed when I right-clicked on an .ai file in my finder window and rolled over "Open With" it had Preview.app set as the default. For some reason, when I recently updated Sierra to Mojave it lost that setting.

• Command-I opened file info.

• Clicked on lock on lower right of info window to e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I do not have a solution for your problem.

I work on a Mac and it works fine at my system.

Restart your computer and reset preferences for both applications is what you can try first.

There is a possibility to report it as a bug (via Illustrator's Help menu)

Illustrator Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link, Ton. Raised an incident. No, restarting and reseting PS and AI did not change anything.

Claudius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with a EPS/AI file I bought in Stock - that should never happen, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also work on a mac BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe your problem (it does not sound like the same issue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem on Windows 10 Pro with CC 2017: vector Smart Object from PS does not open in AI upon double-click. Reinstalling applications, deleting preferences does not help. Problem exists from months and I have not found any solution on the web or by myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, 

That solution doesn't work for me I can only open one smart object at a time if I try to click another smart object in illustrator it just creates another instance of Illustrator in the task manager but doesn't open the actual object

killing the ghost instances (as suggested in the linked thread) doesn't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with 2019cc... i have a mac and still no solution yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

İ solved my prob by downloadıng 2 older version... İt s strange that it didnt work after i downloaded the previous version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I've solved my particular issue with Photoshop not opening a Vector Smart Object in Illustrator when it is double clicked.

This is specific for Macs running Mojave OS (although it may help others).

• Noticed when I right-clicked on an .ai file in my finder window and rolled over "Open With" it had Preview.app set as the default. For some reason, when I recently updated Sierra to Mojave it lost that setting.

• Command-I opened file info.

• Clicked on lock on lower right of info window to enable changes.

• In section "Open with:" select Adobe Illustrator (select version).

• Then hit button "Change All..." to make that the default.

Reopen Photoshop and the file, double-click on your Vector Smart Object, and it should now open in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip, I fixed the same problem. Tanx!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RawrRen advice solved it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on a Mac, upgraded to Mojave. This is exactly what is happening with me and the fix that worked. What's weird is it was only behaving this way on my iMac, but not on my Macbook which also has Mojave installed. Weird. Thank you for posting your fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good! Now it working, tnx 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot problem Solved 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only logged in to say thanks! I didn't even knew how to articulate this question well, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its alright mate....thanks for the message too..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Associate the file at finder outside photoshop and restart photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is how i solved my problem

i put up a short video for non techies

https://youtu.be/W6xJjeX2Z-k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Queridos amigos si no pueden abrir objetos inteligentes (archivos de illustrator) la salida es cerrar Phoshop, buscan un archivo de Illustrator click derecho y le dan OBTENER INFORMACIÓN.

Luego de ello: ABRIR CON y bingo: en mi caso adobe illustrator, me va a preguntar todos?¿ YES.
Cierran ello y bueno cuando vayan a phoshop y tiene un logo colocado de forma inteligente y quiero editarlo directamente en Adobe Illustrator para poder cambiar un color o algo. Podran hacerlo de forma libre.

Saludos desde Chile.

-

Dear friends if you can't open smart objects (illustrator files) the way out is to close Phoshop, look for an Illustrator file right click and give it GET INFO.

After that: OPEN WITH and bingo: in my case adobe illustrator, is it going to ask me all? YES.
They close it and well when they go to phoshop and it has a cleverly placed logo and I want to edit it directly in Adobe Illustrator so I can change a color or something. They can do it for free.

Greetings from Chile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLUTION in Windows:
Go to an AI file, then right click and choose Adobe illustrator as the default app.

79Sketches_0-1694456201313.png

This just happened to me after installing and uninstalling Illustrator Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines