What are the FILE SIZE LIMITATIONS for Ai??

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrea_mini.png

I think I have plenty of RAM, but Ai craps out when I try to export. For example, a 6500px square image at 300dpi. It's for print and ideally I need to export an Ai to a png or jpg. Ideally I need up to 120,000px.

If Ai can't handle this, what's the work around?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 work around would be open the .ai file or a pdf you save out from that layout, and then just open it straight into photoshop and choose the resolution as it pops up when you open it.

Another way is to create multiple artboards that cover the area of your artwork in th eillustrator layout - we used to have to do this to export large packaging backgrounds to flatten out complicated stuff prior to printing. we'd then recombine the parts in photoshop.

another option is always to play dumb and just send the printer the ai file and let them work it out! ha

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you export a 6500 'pixel' square from Illustrator at 300 PPI, you will end up with a 27040 pixel square. Is that what you intend?

I don't know of a hard limit for Illustrator, but I have had trouble exporting images files over 15,000 px wide before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines