• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why the Picker can't pick up "saturated" colors out of linked RGB images?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in v2021. If I place an image, linked, and use the Picker to sample some colors for use in my illustration, even if the Document mode = RGB, and even if the image is in RGB color space, I can only get "muddy" (desaturated) kinds of color. 

Whereas if I embed the SAME image, I get all the briliant colors.

I looked at the Picker setting and Preferences to no avail.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

If the image is embedded, Illustrator has access to the RGB values in the image.

When linked, the preview is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the image is embedded, Illustrator has access to the RGB values in the image.

When linked, the preview is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ready to buy your response with one catch: the Preview colors don't appear desaturated.
Which "Preview" are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to buy my response, it's free (easy to test with an image that has a different color profile than your Illustrator document).

The preview is the one that is displayed on your monitor.

But it seems strange that the colors get desaturated.

Is there a difference between the RGB profile of the placed image and the RGB profile of your document?

Try turning on warnings in your Color Settings and see if you get them when you place/link/embed the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could have simply bought your reply -- my life does not need to be complicated 😞

First of all, thank you for your help, I know you are not getting paid for this.

Try downloading the Package from here :
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkD78CVR1NBqlp51db9h_-4jUvuGpw?e=YWBF1G

You'll notice two instances of the same original imported sRGB image in an sRGB Illustrator document, one is embedded and the other is linked. I included the linked file so you can open in Photoshop and see for yourself that the image is in sRGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing (I was just joking about buying the reply).

But I cannot seem to reproduce your problem.

When I check the orange color in Photoshop, it is R:248 G:124 B67

I get the same color values and appearance when I pick up the color from the linked as well as the embedded image.

I would get a different result when the image had a different profile as the Illustrator document, but that is not the case, they are both sRGB.

I wonder if changing the Preview on your system from GPU preview to GPU preview makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what? I think I'll try creating a new Illustrator document and try my luck again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried creating a new sRGB document and imported the sRGB image.

If I use the Picker on the linked image, I get 222r 131g 73b.

After embedding the image, the Picker gives me 248r 124g 67b.

Strange... As long as I have a solution.

Best regards / Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is still strange. I wonder what your monitor profile is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange thing is, when I import the image into InDesign with the same Assigned sRGB document profile, and use InDesign's Picker, I get the correct RGB result... Using the same monitor profile, all along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign is different from Illustrator that it does not have a document color mode, you can mix RGB and CMYK and it reads the correct RGB and CMYK values without first embedding the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines