• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator supports maximum artboard size of 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm.  In which workflows you would use canvas / artboard size greater than 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm?

Those who create design for billboard and large format printing, would you prefer design in actual size instead of scaled design (1/10 or reduced proportion of actual size)

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

This is an old thread. 

Have a look ath the large canvas that was introduced since then:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/large-sized-artwork.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have version 24.3 installed. Where do i find the option for a larger canvas?

I am working on multiple frames for animation in 4k. With the actual canvas size i am limited to ca. 24 artboards. 

Sure, i could split it to multiple files. But it would be easier for overview if i could just make the canvas bigger 😉

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set up a new document with an artboard larger than 577 cm (the old max) to enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

So there is no way to achieve this afterwards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as far as I can tell it needs to be a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 and it seems that this is still an issue! I am in the film industry - it would be awesome to use Illustrator for creating some credit sequence assets, but the limitation of the document canvas (NOT the artboard) seems unnecessarily restrictive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, apparently you can have a larger canvas, but only when creating the document initially, why not have this option when resizing later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a mural and would be much easier if I could work to size.  the wall is 30ft wide (360 inches). I need to create a grid so should this mural be moved (its interior relief art that covers a wall) I can give them a print out of this grid so they can put it back together.  It would also be easier for me to get my grid layout equally spaced.  Are there any options in the creative suite that would allow for this size width?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can create a document that size in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rama, we design a lot of large format signs e.g. Channel Letters, Directory Boards, Pylon Signs etc. We prefer to design at scale. However, many of our signage exceeds Illustrator's artboard size and forces us to use scaling. It creates an extra step each time in verification of the scaling, especially when we have to take the file to other proceses other processes in the workflow (e.g. to CNC routing); we have to cut the section of the artwork and scale to size over several files for the router if done in Illustrator or we have to rescale in the dedicated router design software. It greatly adds to the time.  

The artboard size constraint is one of the major gripes over the years since transitioning from Macromedia Freehand. Macromedia Freehand (prior to Adobe's acquistion of Macromedia) was our preferred vector drawing software applicaiton and I can't recall that having a artboard size limitation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread. 

Have a look ath the large canvas that was introduced since then:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a sign business, I need full size...  working at scale is a pain, and introduces an opportunity for error that is unnecessary.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be beneficial with the increased size of the artnoard if the crop marks remain at their normal size and not also enlarged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 5yrs later and still not implimented.  Increasing or unlimiting the artboard size would be a great help.  Has there been any development on this issue or any plans made to incorporate ina future release yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the thread or just the title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't understand your question. The standard size of a cropmark is .375" on an oversized artboard it's 3.75". 

That creates a problem. I am running Illustrator 27.3.  Test it for yourself, create an artboard that is 96" x 48" and note the size of the crop marks after saving as a PDF. Then create an artboard containing 4 x 96" x 48" and then also note the size of the crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall asking a question about crop marks? I'm aware of that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not change in maximum artboard size, If I change above 227 but how I can ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are you trying to do exactly? Did you read the whole thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines