• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change DPI on illustrator iPad app?

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I recently got the new illustrator app on iPad, I love it but I see that it is automatically saving every file at 75 dpi. What's up with that! I need to adjust that but I can't find the setting for it when I start my design, also if I import a design from a 75 dpi resolution into a higher dpi file will there be an issue with resolution? I'd hate to have to redo my whole design again..thanks for the help guys

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

There are no raster effects in Illustrator on the iPad. That option just doesn't have any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ppi is just metadata.

The quality of your file is only measured by the pixel dimensions. Set up a file with sufficient pixels in it and you're good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2A9C37D2-E614-48B2-A896-B86EA5BD9AB4.png
Monika...this is the kind of lowres PNG output we're talking about. Please familiarize yourself with the problem on iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to output a pixel file, then set up a document that has the pixel dimensions you need. And then you can output it in 72 ppi, because resolution just doesn't matter. All that matters is that there are enough pixels in your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be rude, but is ppi (pixels per inch) or dpi (dots per inch) not the resolution of the document? That is what dictates your pixel density since you do not adjust the size of pixels. What makes your document look clear outside of vector images is the ppi, or in simpler terms the resolution. The higher your ppi the clearer your document will be, and the lower the fuzzier it will be. Please stop misleading the people who are here looking for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes your document look clear is enough pixels.

I could create an 8 by 8 pixels document with a resolution of 30000 ppi. Do I get a better image with that? Certainly not. I get a clearer image when there are more pixels in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika...the issue being discussed here is peculiar to Illustrator for iPad. The desktop version gives you the option to create your output file in whatever ppi you choose regardless of the document dimensions. The attached image was created in the desktop version at 100 pixels square but output at 1000ppi which resulted in a file that's 1389x1389 pixels. The iPad version does not have this functionality yet and We The People who shell out a large chunk of cash each year for Adobe products think we deserve a better iPad app since it has been soooooo long in coming. One workaround is, as you mentioned, to create your document in the pixel dimensions that you want to output but it's much more convenient to be able to create your output file to fit it's intended uses regardless of the document size.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6F7F300F-DA16-4F5C-A502-C1D7CCB5D946.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything about convenience, I'm just telling you that it's possible.

I'm not an Adobe employee, I'm not even getting paid for posting anything here.

If you want this ability included, I would suggest that you post a feature request via the settings in the app. Because that gets send to the engineers and people responsible for the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika...if you had acknowledged the existence of the issue in your first
response then explained your workaround, it would have saved a lot of
confusion. We’ve all grown up with the desktop version which is different
from the iPad version in this instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you didn't read all my responses.

I did explain the issue as well as the workaround on November 6, which was my second post.

In my first post I explained a false assumption that the thread openeer as well as a lot of people make about the "resolution" setting in Illustrator on the desktop.

I can't "acknowledge" things that I'm not responsible for. I can explain them, but that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up here. This issue still exist today. Users cannot select what dpi to export files at when exporting as pdf. Will upvote on the forums and suggest others do the same to get this bad boy taken care of. Looks like I'll have to find another way to handle. An inconvenience for users no doubt. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't have a typo. Image output resolution is defined in ppi as in "this image should be output with a certain number of its pixels crammed into an inch".

Your printer's resolution is measured in dpi as in "it produces a certain number of dots per inch".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... is ppi (pixels per inch) or dpi (dots per inch) not the resolution of the document?

By @Anna5E4C

PPI and DPI are not and have never been the same, although some people do not know the difference and use them interchangeably.

https://99designs.com/blog/tips/ppi-vs-dpi-whats-the-difference/

Illustrator is vector and is resolution independent. PPI (pixels per inch) refers to raster when it is printed.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant choose specific pixels when the vendor wants specific mm x mm. If you send outside their guidelines, they kick it back to be done based on their guidelines. And now I'm having to change it to 300ppi as per their guidelines as well. I can argue with the vendor saying it's just metadata, and it doesn't matter. Because apparently, it does matter and trying to tell a professional printing company that's been in business since 1991 that they are wrong doesn't seem to help me get my product printed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does matter! What good is ai on the iPad if you can't change the ppi? You might as well get a free app to create designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so what I did to get around this was export it as a psd and then put it into a higher resolution photoshop document and final export it from there. It takes a little longer but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anna. I sent it to Fresco and am doing the same. I appreciate an actual answer versus condescending comments like the company requesting the specific ppi format and guidelines doesn't know how to run their printing company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works if you want to pay for Photoshop and you aren't working on a job that needs a quick turn around. The whole reason for having Illustrator on an iPad is convenience. It's not convenient at all without the ability to create and send on the go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,  I have been using Illustrator for Ipad since its first beta release, and there was an option to set your artwork to 300 PPI on earlier version releases.  See attached image.  I don't know why that feature option was removed. 86945657-CD0B-4413-BC70-1FE1F6D6681D.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is meaningless, because it sets the resolution for raster effects. Illustrator on the iPad doesn't have any raster effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this can help:5B3A4C9E-5A67-4416-83C1-90151BC2B201.jpegin earlier versions of the beta releases. Illustrator for IPad had the raster effect option turned on.  Please bring back that option Illustrator for iPad team!.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no raster effects in Illustrator on the iPad. That option just doesn't have any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU HAVE LITERALLY SAID THIS 50 TIMES AND PEOPLE WERE/ARE NOT ACKNOWLEDGING YOU, SO STOP. 
You are clearly not understanding what they are trying to explain so just stop responding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User  schrieb:

YOU HAVE LITERALLY SAID THIS 50 TIMES AND PEOPLE WERE/ARE NOT ACKNOWLEDGING YOU, SO STOP. 

If you want to have a feature that doesn't yet exist, then you might want to post a feature request.

Also: you have read the date of my response, haven't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines