• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About data merge and hyperlinks

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! About data merge, is it possible to get the hyperlink (mailto:hi@hello.com) when getting an email address text from .txt?

I mean, I have an Excel file with a column with email addresses: john.doe@hello.com, mary.doe@hello.com, zoe.doe@hello.com...) and I can make a data merge to populate my inDesign file with these email adresses...but I would like to get the hyperlink associated to every email address, too (mailto: john.doe@hello.com).

Is it possible?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

I don't think it's possible by using the Data Merge function itself. But after you have created your InDesign data, you can go to the Hyperlinks panel menu (at least in InDesign CC) and choose Convert URLs to Hyperlinks which uses a Search method to find hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's possible by using the Data Merge function itself. But after you have created your InDesign data, you can go to the Hyperlinks panel menu (at least in InDesign CC) and choose Convert URLs to Hyperlinks which uses a Search method to find hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I know that feature and it's very helpful but I was also considering another situation: a Column in my database with names and another one with the email asdresses and then display the PDF with the names with the links to the email addresses.

Thank you very much for your quick answer anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Have you ever been able to find a solutions to add hyperlinks from database? I have a couple thousand links in a CSV file where the titles themselves shoudl have the hyperlinkns instead of showing the url on a separate line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still in 2020 desiring a solution or a feature to be added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here that would be very nice indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this might be a little late but as Adobe didn't find any solution yet i wanted to share what we do. We use MyDataMerge (https://mydatamerge.com) which adds many valuable features to InDesigns data merge including dynamically generated hyperlinks (video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAuQ3KsTJck) . It's free with all features for a limited amount of records and it creates interactive PDFs with custom names (enough for our usage but its pricing still is cheap compared to other solutions like easyCatalog)

We also used hyperlink conversion but the cons of this in InDesign are:

• You have to do that for every single document or use another script to split your merged document
  • You cannot directly merge into interactive PDFs
  • The text is the same than the underlying link, with MyDataMerge you can have any word (from your database or static) linked with a custom URL (from your database or static)

Cons of MyDataMerge:

• macOS only

Thats what Adobe should build in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines