• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align Center keyboard shortcut (Shift+Command+C) hijacked!

Advocate ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened before. When working with type in InDesign 19.3, I'm no longer able to invoke Align Center by pressing the default keys (macOS 14.4.1) Shift+Command+C . All other align text commands work as expected, but not Align Center. This problem appeared previously a few years ago, but I have no idea how I solved it. 

(PS: Of course I checked Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, but no problem here. I also checked the Finder Keyboard settings panel and again came up dry.)

Scott

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Success! Restarted my Mac in Safe Mode, which disabled all login items. KBSC problem was gone. After lengthy process of elimination I discovered that Copy 'Em, my trusty Clipboard manager, had a shortcut assigned of Shift+Command+C. Once I disabled that shortcut, my InDesign problem disappeared. Thanks to Steve and James for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Scott, this can happen. 

To confirm that it's another application or extension which is grabbing your shortcut, reboot your computer. Open InDesign before any other application (if necessary use the diable application which autoload . Your shortcut wil probably now load.

Then load apps one by one to see which is the culprit. Some utilities or extensions can do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sometimes quicker to just close all apps and hit the affected key combination to see what happens. If a utility or helper app has captured that key, it will pop up.

(I use Simple Sticky Notes, which by default uses several Alt+[letter] keys and is aggressive about trapping them even inside other apps. It was the work of a few minutes to disable some of those shortcuts and reassign others.)

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Success! Restarted my Mac in Safe Mode, which disabled all login items. KBSC problem was gone. After lengthy process of elimination I discovered that Copy 'Em, my trusty Clipboard manager, had a shortcut assigned of Shift+Command+C. Once I disabled that shortcut, my InDesign problem disappeared. Thanks to Steve and James for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines