• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ALT and drag to duplicate an object creates 3 objects instead of 1 in InDesign 2020 on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am working with In-Design CC 2020 and I noticed that when I use alt and drag to duplicate an object, it's not working as I used to know, but instead, it creates something like step and repeat! 

It creates 2 more objects! It's so frustrating.....

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

On Windows: Pushing the arrow up on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag (a bit tricky with only two hands, but use the Alt-gr) will give you more duplicates. Pushing the arrow down on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag will reduce number of duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

I'm also an ACP so I tried all the normal troubleshooting prior to posting.

Resetting the current version and removing caches did nothing.

The solution we found was to completely blow away the folders for any version of InDesign in the ~Library/Caches and ~Library/Preferences and then restarting the entire machine not just the current version.

The user had 2018 and older folders still in the Library from previous upgrades.

I'm theorizing that leaving previous version preference or cache from

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you on Mac or PC ? Everything working fine for me on a MacbookPRO and Catalina with ID 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with iMac and Catalina, I just bought it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are using the Option key then, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course! And I am doing it the right way, first I am pressing the alt key and then I am selecting the object. Dragging though the object, it doesn't just duplicates, but instead it "tripplecates"!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. That's definitely not normal. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Exact version of InDesign and operating system.
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link.
  • Has this feature ever worked on this system? 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imac with Catalina 10.15.2

Indesign ver. 15.0.1

The problem is the same in all documents.

My company bought the computer and InDesign 2 weeks ago!

From the first time I opened a file, I noticed the problem.

Is it possible that I have to do a correction within keyboard shortcuts?             

I  am sending you some screenshots.

first step

01.png

second step, I am selecting the object trying to duplicate

02.png

and the result is....

03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pressing only the alt key during this.

If I press the shift, the duplicated objects react like the way we all know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay in reposnse. I am hopeful that the issue is resolved by now. If not, I would request try resetting InDesign preferences and let us know how it goes. 

Close all adobe applications

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old

Launch InDesign from the CC

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue right now updating to the new InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this not been fixed yet? It's a really annoying issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue, only when I use Alt and drag, it creates two copies. It just started doing this today.

• InDesign 2021
  • Windows 10

Picture1.pngPicture2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not resolve.

Cleared caches and reset preferences.

Each time you hold opt it creates the expected duplicate item but also an additional item aligned between the two.

Arrow keys are not pressed and do not affect this.

It almost appears like the blend feature in Illustrator...

InDesign CC2019 14.0.2

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, 

Having the same issue myself now. Did you manage to find a solution?

Thanks in advance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows: Pushing the arrow up on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag (a bit tricky with only two hands, but use the Alt-gr) will give you more duplicates. Pushing the arrow down on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag will reduce number of duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolved the issue - it started a few minutes ago in the middle of editing a document. It took a couple tries to get the button combo correct, but it's back to only duplictating once. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!

Thanks, mate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COPY THAT. THIS IS THE SOLUTION

thank you, thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER FOLKS. Genious! Thanks Mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also an ACP so I tried all the normal troubleshooting prior to posting.

Resetting the current version and removing caches did nothing.

The solution we found was to completely blow away the folders for any version of InDesign in the ~Library/Caches and ~Library/Preferences and then restarting the entire machine not just the current version.

The user had 2018 and older folders still in the Library from previous upgrades.

I'm theorizing that leaving previous version preference or cache from an older install may have been causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

that's something I also experienced with InDesign when several versions are or were installed.

To get a clean install or a clean trashing of preferences and chaches best temporarily remove also the preferences and caches for all other installed versions of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is with a clean install you cant migrate settings from previous if you wipe out the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this is a bug because it is happening unexpectedly to many of you, but you can also harness this as a feature. (And one I was personally unaware of.)

It's similar to Edit > Step and Repeat but with equal distribution between the outermost objects. If you can get your fingers to cooperate, you can duplicate an object with Alt/Opt and then add/subtract shapes in the middle with the up/down arrows while continuting to hold down the Alt/Opt and mouse button. 

~Barb

duplicate.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines