• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ALT Drag for Duplicate not working in CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the alt (option) drag to duplicate items all the time. I just made the switch over to InDesign CC from CS6, and now it doesn't work. The odd thing though is when I hold down alt and hover over an object, my cursor does change to the double arrow, as if the duplicate function is going to work. But when I go to drag (obv. while holding down on alt), and let go, the object simply moves with no duplication occurring.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

I found if I went to Preferences > Interface > Options and changed Live Screen Drawing to "Immediate" it solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy keyboard shortcuts from a previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I didn't know I had to. I thought this would be a part of the basic functionality of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you don't have to. I asked becasue doing so can cause problems.

Try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Indesign CC for Mac.

Found out that Real Time Thread Shield of my AV (Webroot) caused this behavior.

Posted it on Webroot forums too:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-supressing-alt-modifier-in-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooooo much for the disabling webroot suggestion!! This resolved a host of behavior issues including the duplicate object behavior mention above!!! ie.. handtool (space bar) magnifying- (opt, command, space)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem. How did you fix this?
I can't work in Indesign if the alt-drag doesn't work...
Thanks very much in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've solved it. Instead of ALT and immediately moving the object keep your mouse held down on the object till the transform box disappears then ALT drag. Must be a weird CC thing.

Just an addition to this, the latest beta version of Mavericks 10.9.3 has seemed to have fixed this now. I've ALT dragged a box and it's duplicated as of old. Must have been a known bug that Apple have fixed. I'm sure it wont be long till they bring the release version out and all will be well in the InDesign world again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i just got a new iMac (OS X 10.9.3) and installed the latest Adobe Software (Indesign CC 2014) and experienced the same. Thank you for answering my problem, but i have to admit, that this is rather annoying: i have to waaaaaiiiiit untill i can copy the box. This is not very user-friendly and interrupts my working process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Im not sure why they passed this in as a useful modification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, been really irritated by this, thought I was going mad. I hope Adobe revert to the behaviour we expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. No matter how long I hold, I cannot Option Drag. Holding both Option and Command keys doesn't work either. Nothing in this thread works. I'm running CC 2015 and OSX 10.10.5. Strangely, without updating anything, option drag JUST STOPPED WORKING YESTERDAY! I repeat, I changed nothing; in the middle of the day, it just stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me, but another issue I have is constraining drag to 90° etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gary! That worked - so weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was annoyed when this featured seemed to be missing, too! But then it worked for me when I held 'option' AND 'command' (I have a mac). Just have to get used to using the extra button now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't always work! Can't figure out the magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I found this post. I couldn't understand why they would get rid of such a common workflow. Holding option and command doesn't work for me, but holding it for 3ish seconds does. Terrible user experience in the CC 2014 Adobe programs. If Adobe programs were a website, they would have already been abandoned by their users because of bad load times and terrible user experience. Shortcut keys are the bread and butter to your programs, why would you mess with how they behave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still does not work for me and quite frankly it's bloody annoying. I hold down the Opt key and try to replace footage and I get the little plus arrow indicating that it should replace the media but nothing gets replaced. ARG!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

You'll get more help for your problem if you post in the forum related to your product (not sure what that is, but replacing footage is not something one does in InDesign).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH yes. Got derailed there I guess. Now that "CC" applies to 40 products I get confused easily. Wasn't paying enough attention. Sorry. Seems like no delete function on these forums? Another great feature by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found if I went to Preferences > Interface > Options and changed Live Screen Drawing to "Immediate" it solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jimbo8364 It works now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the issue for me as well! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this has been a huge issue all day for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines