Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

anchored object behind text

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a text box with an anchored object. By defold this object is above the text.

Is there a way to get the anchored object behind the text?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, but it seems to only work with Inline or Above Line objects, and not with Custom objects, so it's really not a good solution.

If you paste the object inline, like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 4.31.37 PM.png

…you can manually move it down, like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 4.31.52 PM.png

…so that the object is now behind the type, but it leaves the gap in the type where the object is anchored.

You can get around this somewhat if you paste the object into it's own paragraph, but it has to be the paragraph before the type you want it to be behind. You can only move it manually down as far as the baseline, but if you use baseline shift, you can move it some more. To control the horizontal position, you have to use some combination of left/right/center align with kearning, spaces, tabs, etc., what ever gets it to the horizontal position you want. And you have to remove the space that the new object-only paragraph takes up so that the previous and next paragraphs don't look like there's something between them, but the only way I've figured out how to do that is to apply baseline shift to the whole next paragraph, so it's really more work than what you get from it.

Maybe someone has a better way to do it, but I'd use freestanding images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't klnow exactly what effect you want, but here's what you can do.

Start by pasting the object into the text flow. Then select the object and use baseline shift to lower the object behind the text on the next lines.

Then, use negative tracking to send the text on the first line to the left to cover the image. Because there is a limit of -1000 for the tracking, if you need more text to cover the image, add spaces. 

I'll try to create a video to explain the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my video that shows two ways to put text above an anchored graphic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaR2UOlnbsQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sandee, good post, as always. My work doesn't require what the OP is trying, so I only remember what I learned from poking around years back. The spaces with tracking is a good idea. It would be more flexible if you could do this with a custom anchor. I don't suppose you know of a way to do that, do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Migintosh!

Hope you're well since our nice discussion last night!

Just this time:

Imho, the good question would be more:

Is the Jedi the only one to be able to play with “custom anchor” since 10 years (CS4)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you told me directly last night that you aren't interested in helping the OP, I don't know why you are bothering to post on this thread. My only guess is that you want to impress people with your knowledge. If I affirm that you are the most knowledgeable person in the world, will you just let it go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will just tell you how to do it: create an inline text frame (anchoring settings 2nd option) and anchor the image inside it (custom)!

I let you finish and make screenshots!

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to assume that English isn't your native language, and maybe that's why you didn't realize that the custom anchor I mentioned in my first sentence is something I already know how to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you seem to ignore is “anchor an image in a text frame itself anchored in text”!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a screenshot to explain the problem(s). I do understand the work-a-rounds explained in the replies and can (or could) use them. But I feel that this is a lack in Indesign. Or maybe I just asked the question wrong...

I'm designing a menu card for a lunchroom. 

There are different symbols to give explanation to a dish. 

Those symbols need to be in the exact same position for each dish. I'm still playing around with the size of the typography and the order of the dishes. That is why I anchored the objects to the text. So when I move the text, the objects will move along. 

As you see with the 'Why not?" the star is in front of the text and I want it to be behind the text.

Also you can see that the second hexagon behind the 'Blue Monday' is in front of the first and with the 'Grow Up'' the second hexagon is behind the first... 

But... when the objects are anchored to the text I loss any ability to change the order.

Would it be e good feature(request) to make this possible?

OR

Is there another (better) way to get this working? 

Aantekening 2019-12-06 153312.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you already have inline objects on their own paragraphs, you could make a text frame for a subhead (Blue Monday) with the hexagons and stars behind or beside the text, group those items, cut and paste them into the paragraph, and they will flow as text, which is what I think your main goal is, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way of doing is by anchoring the image with some other text body in the same page like the page number.

This way we can still arrange the main text body that is we can Bring to Front. 

So basically the steps are: 

1. Select image and click on the anchor point.
  2. Then drag it to the page number or any other subordinate text.
  3. If your image is still at the top then select your main text then Object > Arrange > Bring to Front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and worked. In Anchored Object Options, select Above line. Then set Space After to a negative value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@profeivan2018  You're the REAL MVP! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines