• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchored object in InDesign disappears

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to anchor a graphic or photo to the text, the image disappears. I'm using the latest version of InDesign and I'm running OS Big Sur.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The custom anchoring options are confusing at best, and there are many, many variations.

Can you share a screenshot with a before (anchoring) and after wth Show Hidden Characters enabled?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.15.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.16.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally misunderstood the issue—your screenshots clear it up. What are your frame fitting settings? Does the Center Content button restore the image?

1.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still not showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.40.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The center content didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My document has over 100 images to anchor and this is happening to all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's only happening on the first 8 pages. The rest are working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a page of the file with the problem? You can replace the content with placeholder text if that is of concern. Put it on dropbox and add the link in a reply here (public) or message it to me (private).

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SCucura:

There isn't a clear answer that I can identify. Here are my observations:

1. If you copy/paste the text frame with the missing anchored image to a new file, the image reappears. (Indicates the issue is in this file. Saving as .idml doesn't fix it.)
  2. If you remove everything else from that spread in the original file, the image stays missing. 
  3. If you release the anchor in the original file, the image returns. 

This image really doesn't need to be anchored, because it is not likely to ever flow to a different page. Anchored frames are typically used in longer documents where the they may reflow from page to page during editing. 

But let's say you really want it to be anchored and can't figure out why the file is misbehaving (I think it is corruption—but maybe some else can see something I am missing)... I also discovered that it will appear if you change the anchoring position to inline. So if you add a return at the top of the text, create a new style—I called mine Anchor—make it tiny and anchor to the empty ¶ and then shift it down, into the next paragraph, that will work. And you won't have to use the leading tabs to push the first real line of text over. 

~Barb

1.png2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SCucura,

just inspected your document.

The cause of this issue is a transparency effect that is applied to the text frame where you anchor the graphic frame with the image. Still, I do not know why this effects the anchored object's contents, the image.

From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10.

Anchored frame not selected, text frame selected and the Effects Panel is open.

Effect for stroke and fill surprisingly is set to 0 % !

TransparencyEffectOnTextFrame-AnchoredObjectAffected-1.PNG

As soon as I change the value for stroke ("Kontur:" in my German version) from 0 % to something else, the anchored graphic frame with the image and the drop shadow applied becomes visible:

TransparencyEffectOnTextFrame-AnchoredObjectAffected-2.png

Will come back if I have a good answer for the why in this riddle.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now after some tests:

[1] All effects on the stroke of a text frame will be applied to all anchored objects in the frame.

[2] All anchored objects are affected with anchor position: Anchored.

Anchor position Inline or Above Line are not affected.

[3] If this is a bug it is a long-standing one. I can see it already with my CS6 version 8.1.0

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Uwe! I will see if that works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines