• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic weight statements jump to the wrong side in the table when exporting pdf

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For our Arabic packs a FDA table is required. We create these tables in InDesign, using xml.

The build up of these tables is as following (reading direction = right to left) : Nutrients + weight statement (e.g. "Fat 31g" or "Sodium 60mg"), then a tab (right to left) and then percentages (aligned to the left side).

In InDesign it looks fine but when exporting to PDF for print, all of the weight statements are moved to the left side, next to the percentages. Only when exporting using PDF/X-1a:2001 the weight statements are placed correctly. But we can't use this setting because it saves to Acrobat 4, thus losing all of the layer information which we need for further processing.

I've attached a screen shot. On the left side = pdf, the wrong placed weight statements are marked red.

A link to this file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibave960pg77j4y/SFDA.indd?dl=0

Tested this on both Mac OS 10.9.5 + InDesign CC 2015 and Mac OS 10.12.6 + InDesign CC 2018, same result.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 10.29.21.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

koenraad.bats@ds-n.com  wrote

Thx, I'll report it as a bug.

I did try the PDF/X-4 setting but the problem remained.

Hi,

just commented on your bug report and voted for fixing the issue:

Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Did another test with your file with InDesign CS6 version 8.1.0 on my Windows 10 machine.

This is showing the same issue.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the tabs create issues, would you consider splitting the cell in two, so each value is contained in a cell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

thanks for the advice.

Thought about that, too. If there is no other solution I guess we'll have to do so. But as said we use xml for this and it would require a huge change in the build up of this table, meaning lots of work and lost time.

Further on it's clear to me that this isn't about the build up of the InDesign file, it's the pdf creator that's going wrong since the PDF/X-1a:2001 setting is capable of outputting the text correctly. So building in two cells would be a workaround, not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the tabs should be stable.

Are the settings of the tabs stored in styles or manually applied. I don't think it should make any difference, just in case...

Have you tested it after outlining the text on a copy of the file, just before export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

the tab settings are stored in the Paragraph style attached to the Cell styles.

Good thinking about the outlining. Though it's not useful for us since we have to keep our texts "alive" for text comparison purposes, it might be a good way to check if there's something wrong with the .indd file. So I checked. However the outlining goes fine, no problems there.

Think I found a workaround : placing a space behind (in this case : on the right side of) the tab seems to solve the problem. It's not the best solution but hopefully it's reliable for now.

Thanks for the thinking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign it looks fine but when exporting to PDF for print, all of the weight statements are moved to the left side, next to the percentages. Only when exporting using PDF/X-1a:2001 the weight statements are placed correctly. But we can't use this setting because it saves to Acrobat 4, thus losing all of the layer information which we need for further processing. …

Hi,

what are your exact values when exporting to PDF then?
Are you working with a PDF/X-4 preset and did you change that for exporting the layers?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I attached my pdf settings as screen shots. So far we didn't use the PDF/X-4 setting because there was no need for it since these PDFs are for further processing in our own workflow. I could test the PDF/X 4 but I'm not sure if we have any benefits from it.

Actually we only need PDFs containing layers, high res images, 100% subsetted fonts and bleed + slug from the document.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.55.21.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.55.53.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.55.55.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.56.03.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.56.06.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.56.09.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.56.17.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing.

The first thing you can do is to report a bug on the issue:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

In the report share the link to this thread here.

Also come back after doing the report and share the link of your report so others can vote for fixing the bug easily.

Also have a try with a modified PDF/X-4 preset.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested your sample InDesign document with CC 2019 version 14.0.1.209 on Windows 10 ( German ).

I had to substitute some fonts, but the result is same you are seeing. The bug is still there with the latest InDesign.

From my Acrobat Pro DC a PDF/X-4 document with layers exported:

Exported-PDF-X-4-WithLayers.PNG

If I do so without layers and PDF/X-4 it's all the same. The bug is there!

Not so with PDF/X-1a:

Exported-PDF-X-1a-NO-ERROR-SHOWING.PNG

Here the layout in InDesign CC 2019:

Layout-InDesign-CC-2019.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just commented on your bug report and voted for fixing the issue:

Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Did another test with your file with InDesign CS6 version 8.1.0 on my Windows 10 machine.

This is showing the same issue.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It appears to be a bug so I added my comment to you post at the bug report portal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines