• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-activate adobe fonts does not work in Indesign

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a document that uses Adobe fonts, Indesign tells me I have missing fonts and makes me manually load them.  Why, when I have the fonts loaded in CC and set to auto-activate in Indesign, do I have to waste time doing this over and over? 

I am running Indesign 16 64bit on Windows 10 (updated to latest IND two days ago).  I have uninstalled the fonts and re-installed them, and I have exited CC and re-logged on.  Those actions had zero effect.

I haven't seen this exact question here, but I see many, many people describing problems with Adobe fonts, and the upshot is that they are dangerously unreliable.  I'm working on a yearly report right now that is the reason my department exists. Should I find some different fonts to use?

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

If the keyboard shortcut isn't working for you then try deleting preferences manually,

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Ho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences.

Restore all preferences and default settings
  1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
  2. (Mac OS) While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work.  I hit Shift+Ctrl+Alt after starting, held it during starting, and held it before starting, and I didn't get asked any questions about preferences or anything else.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I see the User Guide describing the same process for deleting preferences.  It still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only tell you you are doing it incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the keyboard shortcut isn't working for you then try deleting preferences manually,

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew about this and was going to try it this morning.  Thanks for not assuming I'm incompetent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill Silbert.  As Eugene Tyson suggested, deleting the preferences appears to have worked.  When I opened my document, the fonts loaded automatically without forcing me to take some action.  Hopefully, this aspect of the program will continue to operate correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Could you specifically tell me what's to be deleted from the end of the path (C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>)? Because I have several folders and files at the end of this path. Or did you mean to that the actual "language" folder should be deleted or renamed?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do you fix this issue if the above mentioned file isn't there?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can only tell me that it works for you there.  I have done EXACTLY what you suggest and what the Adobe user guide specifies, and I have tried multiple variations on those instructions.  It * does * not * work here on this copy of indesign on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same exact issues here. i've followed this thread to a T..nothing yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, I attempted to use these instructions and, like tomhock's experience, doing as listed ("Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt) did not work. However, it did work, if I followed the pattern stated in the Mac OS instructions. For Windows this meant, While pressing Shift+Ctrl+Alt, start InDesign. After that, the dialogue box opened that asked, "want to delete preference files."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this tip will be applicable on Windows, but I've found on the Mac if I deactivate Adobe Fonts through the Adobe Creative Cloud app they often don't really deactivate. For best results I always go to the website and deactivate and reactivate there: https://fonts.adobe.com.

And, you have to always have the latest version of InDesign, which you mentioned you have. When updates come out, the font auto-activation almost always breaks until I update the app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And, you have to always have the latest version of InDesign, which you mentioned you have. When updates come out, the font auto-activation almost always breaks until I update the app. "

Your statement reflects my experience, too, which puts this issue into the category of a bug that needs to be fixed. Any idea how to get Adobe's attention for this? We should not have to troubleshoot this issue every time there is an update to InDesign. It is absolutely annoying and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. I don't know how to get their attention. I have my own theory about this and it has to do with them wanting everyone to upgrade to the latest version. Maybe it's not intentional, but it definitely feels that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on a PC. THe fonts that I activated finally showed up after I cleared the preference files in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every freaking year when Adobe updates for the next year, the fonts deactivate and we have to reset our preferences. This loses a lot of time to reset up and affects ligs, presets, etc. Adobe is large enough that by now, they should have figured out how to update to the next year without causeing us the yearly weekly loss of time to fix all the glitches, especially with font management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I realized is when you open a file from a previous version, it says "Converted" next to the file name. 

Use File > Save as to save over the same file to clear out the "Converted" at the top. 

Close the file, then open again. The fonts will often activate now. 

I have a user who is still having issues after we deleted prefs, uninstalled InDesign, then reinstalled it. Not sure what is going on, but it seems to be just her computer, so can't blame Adobe. Other people are able to activate the fonts in this file. Go figure. She's on a Mac running Big Sur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the fix for our user who could not activate fonts yesterday no matter what she did. Maybe it will help someone else.

If fonts won't activate:

1. Open Creative Cloud App
  2. Select User Account (from top right corner) 
  3. Select Preferences
  4. Select Services (from sidebar)
  5. Turn off Adobe Fonts for 10 minutes, then turn on again

Fonts will hopefully now activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my issue with InDesign showing Adobe fonts as missing. Thank you @TikiMonger ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Glad to hear that the issue was resolved. If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please try the suggestions shared in this article

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I had a file sent to me to edit and the fonts auto activated two weeks ago (I was not sent the fonts). I just open the same file and now the fonts don't activate. 

1) I unactived the font in CC, fonts desappeared.

2) Deleted InDesign Prefs., restarted Mac.

3) Turend off and on activate fonts in InDesign's File Handling.

4) Turned off Adobe Fonts in CC, waited 10 minutes, turned back on.

So far nothing works. Anything else? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Tried this on a second Mac, and the same issue. Font will not activate. 

InDesign v17.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts still available? Some fonts have been removed from the CC Font Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines