Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bleed on spine edge??

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm doing a 120 pp perfect bound book. I've laid it out as a series of spreads. Some of the art bleeds.

my printer tells me that they need to get bleed on the binding side of the pages. I have a lot of pages that bleed to the binding, but not to the facing page. 

It seems to me the only practical way to do this would be to somehow split all my spreads into single pages, and then extend my bleeding artwork into the bleed area on the binding side. 

I thought that simply by turning of 'facing pages' in the Document Setup, my spreads would split into single pages (then I could extend art into the bleed.  No, that doesn't happen, silly me. So it there an easy way to do this? 

thanks!

kurt

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

ah....never mind! I figured it out. 

You can drag pages sideways in your pages pallete, till a black line appears (between spreads) and the pages will come uncoupled. *phew*. That was a heck of a lot easier than i feared!

k

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With perfect binding the spine edge is folded and maybe ground, but not trimmed and visible like wire-o. The printer would have to remove any bleed in the page imposition for folded and gathered signatures. I would check with the printer about the inside bleed content before going to the trouble of splitting pages—but you can set up non-facing pages as spreads with a gap:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/gutter-bleed-still-the-same/m-p/11367643?page=1#M198592

With facing pages turned off and a gap, you would not be able to run crossovers without manually splitting the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah....never mind! I figured it out. 

You can drag pages sideways in your pages pallete, till a black line appears (between spreads) and the pages will come uncoupled. *phew*. That was a heck of a lot easier than i feared!

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if only there were a way to split all those sprrads at once without having to drag them individually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Well I dunno what's going on but this printer wasn't happy till he got 1/8" bleed on spine edge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the printer care about the bleed content? She may just want it for an imposition template. You can include a inside bleed with facing pages, it just comes from the opposite page, which is what you want for crossovers.

With non facing pages you can still make a 2 page master:

Screen Shot 18.png

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.pngScreen Shot 21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines