• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

buttons to navigate in the pdf document

Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to create a reather simple interactivity in Indesign. I have a 3 page document. The first page has two buttons. By pressing button No1 i wish to navigate to page 2/ By pressing button No2 i wish to navigate to page 3. How do i do it?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Use a hyperlink destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

First of all, not all PDF reader apps will support buttons. Mac Preview is a notable example. And keep in mind, too, that tablet and mobile devices don't have a mouse, so there is no such thing as a hover state. Can you use Publish Online instead? It supports all of InDesign's interactive features and you can create some really great effects. Check out the many examples shown in this document: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What im asking of is: what action must be applied to the button, so that it will navigate to a specific page? As far as i can see, the only actions concerning page navigation are for going to the First, Last, Previous and Next page. Cant i assign to navigate to specific pages, other than the ones that are given in the fixed actions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a hyperlink destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to a specific page does not work in PDF. As BobLevine suggested, you need to set up hyperlinks.

First create a hyperlink destination on the page to which you want your hyperlink to navigate. Then go to the page where you want the hyperlink and create a hyperlink that goes to that destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see ok, im just wondering how can i have the buttonlike appearance on an oject that set the hyperlink on. Suppose i wish to set the hyperlink on an object, can i have hover, or click states of that object like i have on a button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, not all PDF reader apps will support buttons. Mac Preview is a notable example. And keep in mind, too, that tablet and mobile devices don't have a mouse, so there is no such thing as a hover state. Can you use Publish Online instead? It supports all of InDesign's interactive features and you can create some really great effects. Check out the many examples shown in this document: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Diane suggested, Publish Online is a great option.

Note that the text in Publish Online is not selectable nor searchable. (It also requires an internet connection, but that is something that almost everyone has.)

If it is important to publish as a PDF, you can still get the button "look", first set up your hyperlink destinations. When creating the button, the Action should be Go To Destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi genik,

there are several button actions that work for all export formats.

Because your document has only three pages this will work with PDF Interactive and Adobe Reader on Windows 10 and Mac OS. It will even work if you load the PDF in a browser like Firefox on Windows 10 ( just tested that ).

Button 1: Go To Next Page

Button 2: Go To Last Page

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When one needs to create an ebook to be displayed in either a tablet or a computer, and wishes to have navigation buttons or hypelinks, what would his best option be in doing so? Something to work in either an Apple or non Apple Tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines