Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't fill a board properly

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I'm working with Indesign 2020 (Mac Os Mojave)

I want to fill the cells of my board (36x62) with some texts but each time I'm trying to I have a red dot inside the cells ?

I opened a new document. I tried with a small board (5x5) it works (I can put some texts inside the cells) but each time I want to do so with the board I need (36 columns and 62 lines) I have nothing but red dots

Thanks for your help

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)

Je m'en doutais, vu le prénom… Bon, alors on va continuer en français, ça sera plus simple !

Pour réduire la largeur du tableau, il faut cliquer sur le côté doit du tableau avec l'outil Texte, appuyer sur Maj et réduire la taille du tableau. Toutes les colonnes seront réduites proportionnellement.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A red dot in a cell means there is overset text. If you get an overset each time you try to enter text is because cells are too small. So, try to reduce font size or/and cell inset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I didn't know that.

And you're right I wanted to fill the cells with a list like 1,2,3,4 etc...

So I thought it would be possible to do it at once to avoid entering each value cell by cell...

Is there anyway to past a list of values in a few cells ?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this list exists in an Excel file, you can import the table in InDesign, so there is no need to manually enter the datas.

See the help here: https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/creating-tables.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank again jmlevy

But if I import the Excel file (cmd D) it's like a text area... I can't find the way to fill the cells of the board I've made with Indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must tick the “show options” checkbox and you will be able to import the Excel file as a table. This will create a table, so do not try to import the Excel file in an existing table in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I've got it !

Thanks

Now, I can import the Excel file but it's tricky to get the right shape after that.

My excel table doesn't fit and exceed the page.

I've tried to play with the board style (in order to have the same I've done previously with no value) but It doesn't work.

Best regards

(Sorry for my english, I'm french

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)

Je m'en doutais, vu le prénom… Bon, alors on va continuer en français, ça sera plus simple !

Pour réduire la largeur du tableau, il faut cliquer sur le côté doit du tableau avec l'outil Texte, appuyer sur Maj et réduire la taille du tableau. Toutes les colonnes seront réduites proportionnellement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Merci !

Je regarde !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines