• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't hyperlink to LinkedIn profile in InDesign CC

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm using InDesign CC. Trying to hyperlink to my LinkedIn profile. I get a red light saying the URL is not available. The irony is that when I click on the red light it jumps to my LinkedIn profile. So the URL works and is available.

I can't figure out why this won't work, and the last discussion related to something like this was two years ago and involved extended character escapes (which I've tried BTW).

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

I figured it out.

The linkedin hyperlinks don't work because of the "login wall" around linked in.

This is a workaround:

(1). have two browsers open, in the first be logged in to linkedin (I'm using Firefox) in the second browser (I'm using Chrome) be LOGGED OUT of linkedin.

(2). copy the URL from the logged in browser and paste into the logged out browser

(3). you will get a long URL like this:

https://www.linkedin.com/authwall?trk=ripf&trkInfo=AQGe2BFMPsrkNAAAAWL59zLwkH901PkKy0XUjxCt6D8k2kQPy2G2R3ewxfphQwhT000tVkik2ohWEpIqkI0jIilxEI5sk2OfXTZJEDzezvb2fCzNlv5DBoFbRY8cU9NYcNXD9Jg=&originalReferer=&sessionRedirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fandrew-j-chapin%2F

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Well if the link works in the exported PDF, that should be ok. Maybe the url is a bit long for indesign or contains characters that it doesn't like. Use a link shortener to see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The link does *not* work in the exported PDF. I tried using bitly to shorten the link and that didn't work either. I wonder if it's something to do with LinkedIn?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me either, so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out.

The linkedin hyperlinks don't work because of the "login wall" around linked in.

This is a workaround:

(1). have two browsers open, in the first be logged in to linkedin (I'm using Firefox) in the second browser (I'm using Chrome) be LOGGED OUT of linkedin.

(2). copy the URL from the logged in browser and paste into the logged out browser

(3). you will get a long URL like this:

https://www.linkedin.com/authwall?trk=ripf&trkInfo=AQGe2BFMPsrkNAAAAWL59zLwkH901PkKy0XUjxCt6D8k2kQPy...

(4). copy that URL into the hyperlink windown in indesign
(5). make sure you export your PDF as "interactive PDF" not "printable PDF" (option in the first dialogue box after "export"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The copy and paste into a logged out linked in isn't working for me. I wonder if they made the login wall stronger. -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 0.39.53.pngWhen you press "Export" as PDF, you are shown "Export Adobe PDF" window. On its "Include" section below, tick "Hyperlinks." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out! Hers how you do it:

* I was logged in during this process

Step 1 

Screenshot_40.jpg

Go to your main LinkedIn profile and click the 'Edit public profile & URL' hyperlink in the top right. 

Step 2

Screenshot_41.jpgNow copy and use the long link, this directs to your public profile. This is my link -> https://www.linkedin.com/public-profile/settings?trk=d_flagship3_profile_self_view_public_profile

Step 3 

Screenshot_42.jpgPaste the link into your interactive element, hyperlink, or button, and hopefully say goodby to the red dot.

// I'm not sure if this will work for everyone but it's the only thing that worked for me. I hope it helps, let me know if it does 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tihamitahmidThank you, thank you, thank you, your solution worked for me after hours of searching for a work around. I was creating and InDesign document to "publish online" and all my other URLs worked—except for LinkedIn link. So frustrating. Thanks to you, the Public Profile link gave me a green dot. YAY. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh, spoke too soon. It does not work. They link takes you to your own LinkedIn page, and I want to provide someone a link to MY linkedIn profile. How can this be?!?! wht is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is occuring after so many years - in the Hyperlink panel, the Linkedin link has a red dot with the error "URL is not available" even when the link is correct (yes, I went through the highlighted solution on this thread and still had the red dot)

BUT i exported the PDF and the link worked regardless. Yes, it takes longer to load than other URLs, but it works.

I have no idea why InDesign would show a red dot when the link actually works through and through, very misleading 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 years later, this still seems to be an issue with LinkedIn and Indesign. The current solution to this issue doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm working on a project linking multiple people's LinkedIn profiles in the document. Some links are working flawlessly and others simply don't. It's not an issue with the URL formatting, extra spaces, or document setup. Somehow some LinkedIn links just don't work. I've had links working at one point and eventually stopped working if I do a small edit, if I revert the edit to when the link was working sometimes it stops working altogether. It's a bug, so make sure to report it. 

Here is the current (hacky) solution I found:
1. Google/search the person's LinkedIn profile URL or any URL that is not working properly (eg. https://openai.com/).

2. Find the result for the URL you want, and copy the link to the page from Google. It will look something like this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwia-5LSu-WAA...

3. Paste the link in Indesign and check the URL status.

I had 7 LinkedIn links not working on my project, after I did this all of the links worked properly. It's a bit of a hack but it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines