• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you set "Redefine Scaling to 100%" for text boxes as a default in Indesign?

Explorer ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open files the size of the text size appears as "21.491 pt(25.59)". Selecting text boxes on each page and selecting "Redefine Scaling to 100%" is very, very time consuming when I have to do this many times a day. Is there a way to open files and the font size just display what the font size actually is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

I don't know of a way to change this globally - You will have to select-all on each page and fix it.

To prevent it from continuing to happen, have whoever is making the files change (In General Preferences) the When Scaling to Apply to Content instead of Adjust Scaling Percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a way to change this globally - You will have to select-all on each page and fix it.

To prevent it from continuing to happen, have whoever is making the files change (In General Preferences) the When Scaling to Apply to Content instead of Adjust Scaling Percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you suggested is my default setting - today I placed an image that's definitely large enough to cover a standard page size (it seems somewhere over the past few days while I was away from my computer it decided change some setting itself) and now every image I place is 9x6 inches. What the heck? I get how to make it 100% through research and suggestions below but what happened to it placing my images true to size like it has the past 10 years of use? How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question is about text frames not placed images.

Are you placing the the image into a frame or directly on the page? After you've placed if you direct select the image ( white selection arrow) what percentage shows in a he Transform panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been using InDesign for years and I've never found a good answer to how to turn this "fucntion" off. (It's simple to turn off, but dificult to search for). And I still don't know what the purpose of the Adust Scaling Percentage is. All I do know is that it's caused me a lot grief and time over the years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when setting any preferences like that, do it with no document open, so that it becomes the default behavior for all new documents. I know it won't help with the current doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting text boxes on each page and selecting "Redefine Scaling to 100%" is very, very time consuming

For existing documents resetting the scaling can be scripted. If you are using OSX this AppleScript should work:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

redefine scaling of every text frame of active document

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you're a Windows user, here's the javascript version:

scaledElements = app.activeDocument.allPageItems;

for (i = 0; i < scaledElements.length; i++) {

scaledElements.redefineScaling();

}

Save your doc before testing it... never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm try ito fix the multiple font sizes problem.  Do you know where I can find redefine scaling to 100% in InDesign 15.1.2 (2020)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graham,

with all versions of InDesign you can find the option "Redefine Scaling As 100%" in the Transform panel.

Window > Object & Layout > Transform

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

// EDITED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines