Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing shape of a picture

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am self-taught on InDesign and cannot figure out how to do something.  I want to make a picture have a different shape, but I can't get there.

Here is a screenshot of what I desire:

Desired quote.png

I would like to make the photo of Claire Ruth (on the left) to look like the photo on the right of Steve Jobs, and then add a quote from her.

I would be greatly indebted if you can help me with this.  It has vexed me all afternoon.  TIA!!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

With the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) click (and hold) on the lower left anchor.

Shift-drag (only) this anchor to the right.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) click (and hold) on the lower left anchor.

Shift-drag (only) this anchor to the right.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  It worked well..

Thank you very much . . .  This is the first time I have ever gotten an answer that was useful from message boards.  You've restored my faith, as well as helpng me achieve something that was driving me crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad we could help.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having problems.  It worked fine the first few times I tried it, but now it moves the entire picture . . . Is there something I am not making sure of . . . I am using the Direct Selection . . . thanks . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it happens, it is because you have more than one anchor point selected. In this case, unselect the shape and select only the point you want to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works if I have the picture by itself on an empty page, but not when it is placed in a frame, such as below:

quote box.png

Does the frame prevent me from doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• zoom in
  • select the Direct Selection Tool
  • click on the lower left anchor
  • use right arrow key for moving the anchor point (with or without modifier key [Shift])

(you can adjust the value of the steps in the preferences --> register: Units and …)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the picture, I select the lower left-point . . . when I try to move it, it also selects the entire frame around the box, and moves everything together . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is because you select first the frame with the black arrow, so you get this:

Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 23.35.20.jpg

If you switch to the white arrow without deselecting the frame, you'll get the four anchor points selected, like this:

Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 23.35.28.jpg

so you can't move only one point. But if you start by selecting directly the anchor point with the white arrow, you get this:

Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 23.35.05.jpg

and now you can move only the bottom left anchor point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not seem to the problem.  Here's the confusing part:  I can do it on the textbox but not on the picture.  I don't understand why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

read it again please:

pixxxelschubser_0-1617400778601.png
  • zoom in
  • select the Direct Selection Tool
  • click on the lower left anchor
  • use right arrow key for moving the anchor point (with or without modifier key [Shift])

(you can adjust the value of the steps in the preferences --> register: Units and …)

By @pixxxelschubser

that will work for anchored objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked this time . . . Thanks (but I had tried the same earlier and it didn't work) . . . Nonetheless, thanks . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines