• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the way that inline images are layered and interact with one-another

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a pretty specific use-case so I'm not sure it's possible. I've got some graphics that are placed inline in my document, and then I adjust the styles so that these graphics are overlapping each other slightly, by defining an object style with a text-wrap and a negative offset.

By default, whenever these inline images overlap, the image to the right is placed on top of the image to its left (makes sense). Is there any way to manipulate that and put an image to the left over top of one to the right? For example, imagine the first image is a right-facing arrow and I want it over top and overlapping the image to its right.

While some way to manipulate this via styles would be ideal, if it's something that requires scripting I can probably try that approach as well. I've gone through all of the style settings and don't see anything that seems like it would modify this, but maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's not possible. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a tough one to visualize. Would you mind screen sharing a screenshot with the text, the two images and frame edges and hidden characters visible?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I've got right now. The blue arrow is made up of 4 inline images, the front of which has an object-style that gives it text-wrap and a negative right-side offset, so that the red circle is pulled in overlapping. 

screenshot.png

Here's what I want to achieve (easy enough to do with taking the images out of the inline configuration, bringing the arrow to front, grouping, and pasting them back inline, but I need a more automated solution). 

screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered grouping the two objects and putting them into a single graphic frame? 

That way, you could set up the overlap ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After grouping the two objects, copy or cut them. Create a graphic frame, select the frame and choose Edit > Paste Into. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that this works for producing the end-result that I described, but I should have mentioned that the reason I'm looking for a styles or scipts solution is that it's on a document with hundreds of these images, which I'm generating on a weekly basis, so I need something that handles this in an automated manner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you just need to reverse the placement of the pictures and introduce offsets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I gave this a shot, and it doesn't look like the order in which the images are placed in-line affects this layering. For example, if I drag a new image into the document, insert it into the middle of the group of inline images, and then adjust the right-side offset, it still goes under any images to its right.

In my workflow, all of my inline images are placed through a data-merge that inserts filenames, and then a script that finds the filenames and replaces them with the actual images. I could in theory modify the script to insert the images in the order I want them layered, but based on my test it doesn't look like that would result in any change to how they're layered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines