• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chinese/Mandarin tips

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asked by a client to design at 60-page report in English and also produce a version in Mandarin.

I don't have any experience of the latter, is it reasonably straightforward to produce in InDesign? I have produced reports in the past in Kiswahili, Ukranian and a few others and has been ok, similar to jobs I've done in French and Spanish where I've found text generally comes out at about a third longer than the English and have so tweaked the para style accordingly.

Is there a particular font available within CC that people would recommend?

Many thanks for any advice.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Hi @Brighton Lance 
I can't give you real advice since I'm definitely no expert on this and have only done 2-3 japanese/chinese broschures. So please don't take my word for it 😉

But the one thing I expierenced is that chinese characters take a lot more space than e.g. english text.
Depending on the layout your report can easily look cluttered, but on the other hand you don't want to make the chinese text to small because it's important (at least that's what I've figured/read) to distinguish the ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brighton Lance 
I can't give you real advice since I'm definitely no expert on this and have only done 2-3 japanese/chinese broschures. So please don't take my word for it 😉

But the one thing I expierenced is that chinese characters take a lot more space than e.g. english text.
Depending on the layout your report can easily look cluttered, but on the other hand you don't want to make the chinese text to small because it's important (at least that's what I've figured/read) to distinguish the characters with all their fine lines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, very useful advice, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Afterthought: if you have some kind of art college in your neighborhood and you wanna do it right perhaps you find some chineses students which can tell you the tricks of the trade 😉

I basically just did the projects to "western standards" with some superficial "Google-knowledge" of chinese typography (if you even can call it that) – and although it was proof-read by the respective subsidiaries a chinese designer would probably tear my work apart 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, tahnks you. I have arranged with the clinet for them to send me a forward test section of a few pages, I'm going to design and send back for their feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines