• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

COM + D illustrqtor shortcut on Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying for years to look for the same function on Indesign that we have on Illustrator (COMMAND + D) for quickly duplicating.

Anyone could help?

Thank you

[Moved from Community Help (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your idea would absolutely wreak havoc across the entire InDesign user base.

Command/Ctrl+D (for Mac/Windows platforms, respectively) within InDesign — and PageMaker before it — is the universal shortcut for the File>Place... menu command. That's the primary conduit for bringing text, graphics and data from other computer applications and libraries/archives/collections into InDesign, for a firmly entrenched, universally experienced and consistently trained user base for some 35 years.

I try to encourage creativity and open-mindedness when dealing with digital design, but if you're asking Adobe to consider making this change I'd imagine they'd reply in ain't nevergonnahappen terms. It would bust far more utility and experience using InDesign than it would ever facilitate by making Command/Ctrl+D function the same as it does in Illustrator. Plus InDesign's Command/Ctrl+C to copy and Command/Ctrl+V to paste keyboard shortcuts are universally used for duplicate functions in most all other software applications.

But that doesn't mean you can't do this just for you. The easiest way would be to use the Alt/Option key while select/dragging elements with the Selection/Arrow tools. That function works exactly the same with InDesign as it does in Adobe Illustrator. Or possibly you can reconfigure your keboard shortcuts with InDesign using the Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts... menu command. Just realize that if any other even slightly experienced user of InDesign uses your system, they may question your actions in colorful and borderline violent terms.

I don't know if this helps you, but it is an accurate description of why this idea is fraught with peril.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ycarius,

with InDesign duplicating in place are two commands:

Copy

Paste in Place

Note: There is also a Duplicate menu item, but this will not do what you want most of the time.

You could also run an ExtendScript ( JavaScript ) and apply a keyboard shortcut to it that will do both menu commands:

try{
app.copy();
app.pasteInPlace();
}catch(e){};

How to save ExtendScript code as script file, how to install a script file and run it from the InDesign Scripts panel:

http://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the default Keyboard Shortcuts to "Adobe Illustrator shortcuts"; however, it's not a 100% match.

With the macOS version, for example, the InDesign keyboard shortcut for Duplicate is option shift command D for both the default set and the Adobe Illustrator shortcuts set.

INDD Keyboard Shortcuts set to Adobe Illustrator shortcutsINDD Keyboard Shortcuts set to Adobe Illustrator shortcuts

On Windows, it might change over to command D.  You'd have to try it.

Or...

You could try creating a custom set.

Adobe InDesign User Guide > Workspace and workflow > Customize menus and keyboard shortcuts

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/customize-menus-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Scroll down to "Change the active shortcut set".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, my question had been a bit misunderstood, I just needed the shortcut on ID to do the same "Duplication" than Command/D on Illustrator. I would never switch this shortcut on ID for sure!

But thank you for replying, it was that Alt/Option I was looking for 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. I'm glad we could find a way to make it work for you.

If you ever get stuck, don't hesitate to come back here. There are a lot of smart folks around here who can help.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In InDesign there are several choices:

1.  Edit > Step and Repeat duplicates an object with a dialog box
    21.png

2. Edit > Duplicate
    Uses the Offset in Step and Repeat without a dialog box (many people don't realize this link)

3. Object > Transform Again is the closest to Illustrator's Cmd+D, but very different.
    Cmd+D in Illustrator is not and never was a shortcut for "quickly duplicating". It is a shortcut for Object > Transform > Transform Again and will repeat the last transformation, whether it be Scale, Move, Copy, Shear, Rotate, Reflect, or a combination through Transform Each. So here is the Same "Transform Again" command that is most like what we have in Illustrator, and yet it does much more:

22.png

The help file is here. Scroll to Repeat Transformations.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/transforming-objects.html

I hope this helps!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome tips! Thank you loads! *-*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that buy now you'd have solved your problem, but for the future people who will have the same doubt, the shortcut for inDesign that has the same effect as CTRL + D in Illustrator is CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + D (on Adobe CC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I've attached the image instead of embed it, sorry)

Captura de tela 2021-03-01 152454.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines