Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert indd CC2015 to indd 2020 without resave

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that I can open old indd in higher versions 🙂
My problem: I have tons of Indesign 15 files and if I open them with ID20, I have to resave them (and restore the color-marks at the finder) and this will cost me a lot of time. Does anybody know a solution for this problem?
Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

I assign this AppleScript the Command-S key command—it saves over a converted file without a prompt:

tell application id "com.adobe.indesign"
	tell active document
		--get the file's path and name
		try
			set filepath to file path & name as string
		end try
		--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save
		if converted is true then
			save to filepath
		else
			save
		end if
	end tell
end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could possibly be scripted but there is no other way and quite frankly, I would never do that without checking the files for changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to change them anyway, they are only templates for new versions.. its just a lot of them and every additional click will drive me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assign this AppleScript the Command-S key command—it saves over a converted file without a prompt:

tell application id "com.adobe.indesign"
	tell active document
		--get the file's path and name
		try
			set filepath to file path & name as string
		end try
		--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save
		if converted is true then
			save to filepath
		else
			save
		end if
	end tell
end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Very cool, even if the problem with the color markings is not solved, it saves me a lot of work.
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry.. colormarks also work - perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep in mind the reason you are forced to resave a converted file is, if you overwrite the original it would no longer open directly into the older ID version—could be a problem if you were forced to reinstall and go back to an earlier version for some unforseen reason. I don’t think it would be a problem if you have a reliable incremental backup system in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't worry, I work with copies.
The background is that I have layouts for different campaigns and I use the files from the last campaign as templates for the next one... and there is a switch to ID2020 in the pipeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines