• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Text Frame to Non-Text Rectangle

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is there a way to convert a Text Frame to Non-Text Rectangle?

2. Also, if anyone can tell me, whenever I manually cover my text frames with rectangles, the new rectangle snaps as to the edges of the existing text frame as I expect, but the resulting rectangle is smaller on every side. I suspect this is a stroke (border line) issue, but even when I set it to 0px stroke, the rectangle is still too small. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

I can answer question 1, at least.

Object > Content

From there, you can choose Text, Graphic or Unassigned.

I don't really understand the second question, though. Screen shots might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can answer question 1, at least.

Object > Content

From there, you can choose Text, Graphic or Unassigned.

I don't really understand the second question, though. Screen shots might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! That is going to save me a lot of time. I also went into Edit > Preferences > Type  and unchecked "Typetool Converts Frames to Text Frames." That helped a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness. I always forget how. I know it's simple but I never can find it. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO MUCH for this answer about assigning the content type! I accidentally turn shapes into text boxes all the time (I think InDesign makes that far too easy, although now I see below that I can turn off this feature, hooray), and then it causes problems when trying to outline all the fonts. BTW, I "liked" your post a while ago, but then just now I accidentally unliked it, and can't get it to like again; ironic. So you really have 10 likes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1) Cut the text out of the Text Frame (select All and Edit > Cut). Then select the frame with the Selection tool and choose Object > Content > Unassigned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you too, Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 you can now change Text-boxes to line type like this:

1. Choose the textbox

2. Type > Convert to Point Type

There you go 🙂

Now your textbox is made of simple lines of text.

I searched for guide "illustrator convert textbox to text line" and found this thread.

Kind regards Mark Barner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But this is InDesign's forum 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if anyone can tell me, whenever I manually cover my text frames with rectangle

You can use Edit>Paste In Place to clone any object. So select the text frame>Copy>Paste In Place, then set the content of the cloned frame to Unassigned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines