• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Graphs, Charts in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to create detailed pie charts and graphs in InDesign, for use in high Res print publications?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Well seriously, no, ID doesn't have a good facility for doing charts and graphs natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -- do them in Illustrator and import them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Illustrator is pretty ordinary too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just answered a 12 year old post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well seriously, no, ID doesn't have a good facility for doing charts and graphs natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of a link that shows how to create, design and format pie charts and graphs in Illustrator. Perhaps a good video tutorial. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Google....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google led me and countless others here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator's graph tool sucks. It's like a remnant from the early 90s. For instance, because I require my graphs to look a bit more pro than the default - every time my data changes - I have to redesign all my graphs from scratch.

I'm currently looking into doing my graphs with Flash and AS3 instead. Don't know if that's feasible yet though.

--Dwayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dwaynie: I do charts in Illustrator for InDesign documents all the time - and I easily update them from issue to issue, and from change to change in the current issue.

The secret is: DO NOT DELETE THE DATA. If you want/need to fiddle with the artwork and the data won't let you, then copy the chart then break it up. You can easily copy and paste the bits generated by the amended data. Of course I am assuming you are not attaching really complex changes to the chart artwork that require you to start from scratch.

For changing the chart shapes and auto-generated text I use the Group Selection Tool nearly all the time. 

I agree that the Illustrator chart tool is quite primitive, but it is still the most flexible charting tool around. I wish it  would do overlays...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've often created graphs in Excel and printed those to PDF - opened them in Illustrator to tidy them up and apply colours. Then imported that to InDesign.

Some people have success copying and pasting from Excel to Illustrator.

I've used Illustrator to create graphs similar to these though. http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/illustrator-tutorials/create-beautiful-3d-graphs-and-charts-in-il...

Depends on what you want for the end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We quite often do the charts in PowerPoint, export to pdf and either fix those (in Illustrator) or directly use them (when exact colors are not an issue).

Works like a treat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See how to create easy graphs in InDesign in this short tutorial Creating Graphs in Adobe InDesign - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Take a look to:  Indiscripts :: Claquos 2 | Pie Chart Builder for InDesign Cool! 

Another great tool written by the very clever french scripter Marc Autret!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chartwell look neat but the font set is now €160

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on Styles on the right hand side you can buy individually for €25.

FontShop | Buy FF Chartwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. I don't see the support of decimals with Chartwell.

Quoting Mike Rankin from his 2011 article at indesignsecrets.com :

About the only negative I’ve found is the limitation of working only with whole numbers. It means that you can’t have something like a pie chart perfectly divided into thirds.

And that pretty much kills its usability for me.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please put in a feature request and be sure to say exactly which features you want to see in a brand new re-designed charts and graphs tool / application. I talked to two people on the Adobe team at two conferences this month, and this is a question they asked me. They read the wishform list.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

According to Wikipedia, graph creation was introduced to Illustrator in June 1993. It has changed little since then.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/graphs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun!  LOL 

https://indd.adobe.com/view/b940f8c5-b78f-4948-b3f4-baf42d217ddf

Animations totally done in InDesign!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fun. Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Paste Into for the rectangle inside the circle? The animation disappears when I try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane!

No!  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of figured that out. The animation disappears when you paste inside.

J'ai besoin d'un indice, s'il vous plaît.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines