I ran into a bizarre issue while using data merge today, and thought I'd turn to the forum to see if anyone had an idea as to the cause.
I have a document with all of the static items on the master page and the variable data items on the document page. Since the merged document wouldn't require any further fiddling, I used Data Merge > Export to PDF to generate the final file.
The result: The variable data merged correctly. The static items on the master also merged correctly, with one exception: a title that had been created using the "type on a path" tool. Specifically, this item appeared only on the first page of the merged document, but was absent from all other pages.
Okay, weird. So I run some tests. The result:
I thought, "well maybe something's just corrupt with my file. Let me try a new one and see what happens."
So I create a new file with some nonsense type on a path, and a merge field on the document page. The result? Same thing. The text on a path will not merge past the first page if it is placed on a master. The merge field on the document page merges as expected.
It's the darndest thing and I have no idea how to resolve it. Well, I could just tweak my file using any of the working methods I demonstrated above, but if anyone knows how to *actually* fix the problem I'd be much more satisfied. Otherwise, if this is just a weird bug, it'd be good to know so I can report it.
I was able to replicate and confirm this fault using UK English Adobe InDesign 13.0.1 running MacOSX 10.13.2.
I'll report it to the bug report and I'd suggest that the opening poster do so as well: Adobe InDesign: Bugs: Hot (661 ideas) – Adobe InDesign Feedback
where exactly is your bug reported? Wanted to vote, but did not find it.
Your link goes to the "bug overview" and not to a particular bug report or category.
perhaps try this link:
it's been a weekend for data merge bugs too. Found this one on reddit and confirmed it, so posted it too:
Ah! Your new links are working…
Will check on my side and vote.
Same here (Windows 10 / ID 2018 / PDF all versions).
Additinally my path text is shifted to the right.
there is news from the developers by Abhinav Kaushik:
Thank you for your patience all this while. We have been able to address the issue and it has been fixed in our beta builds.
In order to try out the fix of the issue you may join InDesign CC Prerelease program @https://www.adobeprerelease.com and download latest beta build 14.×.×.x from download section on the home page of InDesign CC Prerelease portal.
Let us know in the comments if you see any issue with the beta builds.
Hi ashleew44226948 ,
the bug is fixed with latest prerelease version of InDesign.
However: Do not convert the document to IDML before testing.
See my comments regarding IDML at:
Awesome, great to hear! I haven't had occasion to use data merge with type on a path since the initial issue, but I'm glad to know it's been resolved!