• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge w/ Content and Images

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks! I'm using InDesign v2024 on a Macbook Pro. Currently, I am designing a postcard with variable data which is both content and images. I have an Excel spreadsheet sheet with all my columns and rows together and the content is working completely fine but the images is where I am having issues. Column header is '@images to avoid Excel thinking I want to use a formula. The rows have the paths which I have tried every which way from Sunday to make work but continue to get the same error (missing image files). Please note that I am saving this spreadsheet as a CSV file format and everything is currently on my desktop (not a server). Despite reading articles and forums as well as watching many videos, nothing seems to be working.

Here are my questions:

• Is there a specific file extension that is required?If so, what is it? I've done both PSD and JPGs.
  • For a Mac, is there a specific path required? I've seen all sorts of opinions on these and none of them work for me. Here are a few examples I've tried:
    • /Users/[account name]/Desktop/House Account Postcard/Links/Images/Product_JPGs/[filename].jpg
    • /Links/Images/Product_JPGs/[filename].jpg
    • ./Links/Images/Product_JPGs/[filename].jpg
  • Should I be using 2 separate files; one for data and the other for images? If so, how do I do that?

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind that the suggestion by Adobe on their "Help" site also did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the header in your spreadsheet '@images or @IMAGE? The apostrophe may cause an issue.

You can also eliminate the need for the directory path within the data by using these steps:

1. Consolidate all graphics into one directory
  2. In spreadsheet, include complete name of image: graphic123.jpg
  3. Save .csv / .txt file into the directory of graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if Excel is a problem, remember a CSV file is a text file with comma delimiters. If you do not have too many fields, you can type it or at least enter the headers and a couple of rows. Then open that in Excel to keep editing, if it is quicker.

header1,header2,header3,@image,header4

text1,text2,text3,path/picture1.jpg/text4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric - We just confirmed that this is a Mac issue and nothing else. Got it to work on a PC which is beyond frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. If you don't add the apostrophe Excel thinks you want to use a formula. However, we got this to work on a PC with no issue. So its a Mac problem for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your directory path looks like this:

/Links/Images/Product_JPGs/[filename].jpg

For mac, have you tried this?

Links:Images:Product_JPGs:[filename].jpg

Edit: nevermind, I see your post showing colons replacing slashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An apostrophe in column header will not work for an image column header. You will need to remove apostrophe in a text editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the column header should just be "images" or "@images"? I was under the impression you need the @ symbol to indictate that this is an image. Without the apostrophe, you get this error.Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 12.00.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@images

This is what is needed in the source file .csv or .txt. In Excel use image, then edit source file with an app other than Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. As mentioned, I am using a CSV file format for the data merge. We just start out with an excel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In Excel, use image as your column header
  2. Save as .csv. Open .csv in TextEdit, enter @ to the header
  3. Save .csv
  4. Perform your datamerge in Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff though I appreciate you wanting to help. I have literally said I've done all of these steps. Again, this is not an Excel/CSV issue. It is a Mac based InDesign issue. Again, we got this to work on a PC without fail. My concern is this continual back n' forth is only going to confuse the matter and avoid a real solution to present itself. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want, upload the spreadsheet, Indesign datamerge file, and some images, and I will test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least provide a screenshot of the csv file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the cell is formatted as text, you should be able to do without the apostrophe.

Viele Grüße
Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have done this process several times, but on Windows only, the paths for images seem to be more stable than on Mac.

The file format (for me) worked perfectly using jpg extension.

I would test the path by pasting it in a browser window, Chrome might be more forgiving. If the path is correct, the jpg should display.

I would try the opposite, Chrome window, File > Open > navigate to open a jpg. When the picture opens, copy paste the 'url' from the web address window. Then paste that in your csv and test in InDesign. I would try that on a csv file with only 2 entries to make sure it works before getting every image's path that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines