• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design Office Printer Recommendation?

Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently own an old HP P2015dn monochrome laser printer that I use for basic office stuff, and an Epson WF-7520 wide format printer that I use for InDesign proofing. I would like to get rid of both of these printers and purchase a single, multi-use printer that I could use for general black and white office stuff, color proofing, copying, and scanning.

My preference is a multi-function color laser printer, primarily because I don't print in color often enough to keep an inkjet printer from clogging up. Ideally, I'd like a printer that can accommodate 13" x 19" paper, but that seems like a pipe dream. I could settle for an 11" x 17" printer, but I can't even find that. So far, the best option I've come up with is the HP LaserJet Pro M479fdw, but that'll limit me to 8.5" x 14" paper. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much do you want to spend?

I'm very happy with my Xerox Phaser 7800 (now maybe 10 years old) but it was very expensive ($6000?) and it costs a lot to run, ,so I don't use it except to print color. I have cheap Samsung and OKI printers for more mundane tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to keep it uner $1,500. I'm currently looking at the Epson ET-16650, but I've had issues with Epson in the past with clogged printheads. A color laser is my preference, but I don't think I can find one that prints 11" x 17" for under $1,500. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yah, there's quite a jump in price to go tabloid/tabloid plus. I'm also a Xerox Phaser guy, but looking at their current multi-function line up, nothing is even remotely in your price ballpark. The "cheapest" is their Versalink 7000 which is purely a printer at aboour $2k that can do tabloid (not 12x18 tho).

I would see if Ricoh and Minolta may have something, otherwise the HP M750n might still be around... It's not multi-function but does go 12x18.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to look into a lease, though I'm not sure you would have the volume make it work.

Maybe you can find something used with a warranty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an OKI C931e "production" laser printer that we use to print our POD books, design proofs (lite proofs), and regular office materials. Excellent printer, but the consumables cost $1,000 for a set of toner cartridges (40,000 copies).

But OKI's smaller line is more affordable, such as these here: https://www.oki.com/us/printing/support/consumables-and-accessories/color/index.html  I know they have some Tabloid/Tabloid Extra models.

Love the native PostScript and high resolution options.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't OKI out of the printer market?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they closed their sales of printers in North and South America.

Sad. Great printers.

Luckily mine is still running...until I can no longer find toner or supplies 😞

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a fast search for refurbed Pahsers and you can get them. Walmart, of all places, sells the 7800 with trays for $2500 (and all the refurbs I saw came with 30-day parts warranty) andd they seem to offer an extended warranty of 4 years for $77, or shorter periods for lesss.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Xerox-Phaser-7800-DX-A3-Color-Laser-Printer-45ppm-Auto-Duplex...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks For Sharing. I Will also share with my friends.

Lactose-free Formula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone. I aprpeciate your help.

For budget reasons, I've narrowed my decision to two choices:

HP Color LaserJet Pro - Maximum print size 8.5" x 14"

Epson EcoTank Pro ET-16650 - Maximum print size 13" x 19"

For anything larger than the printer outputs, I'll need to rely on my local printer. Although the Epson sounds great, I've had issues with Epson in the past. Plus, you have to purchase special paper. On the otherhand, the HP P2015dn printer that I currently own is an absolutely beast, so I'm kinda leaning towards the HP printer, even though it has smaller output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you print every day I think you are going to have trouble with an inkjet, and in my experience overall cost of operation is much lower with a laser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually think this new model is a lot better since it has more memory and higher capacity toner.

HP M480f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kcrossley,

Are you still out there? I'm looking for a color laser to replace my cheap Samsung and I wonder what you ended up buying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any wide-format color laser printers that were affordable. I'll likely go with something from HP (my preferred brand) that can scan up to 11" x 17" documents and will print at least an 8 1/2" x 14" size. Anything larger than that in laser tends to get really expensive. Unfortunately, a lot of the printers I'm interested in aren't readily available due to ongoing supply chain issues. 

That said, I do like this option, but I've always had issues with inkjet printers, which is why I'm hesitant: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5M2HDH/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I don't print enough to even consider using an inkjet -- the heads just plug up if you let them sit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly. That's why I tend to avoid inkjet printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines